NHTSA PROBE ON SUDDEN ACCELERATION

Anyone out there have any more information on this. Sounds like a similar situation occured to my father's 4 month old ES 330, causing substantial automobile and garage wall damage. Fortunately no one was hurt? Nick

Again, NHTSA Probes Sudden Acceleration By Harry Stoffer Automotive News / March 22, 2004

WASHINGTON -- A relatively new technology, the electronic throttle, is a leading suspect in a wave of claims that some vehicles unexpectedly accelerate out of control.

Government investigators are looking at 2002-03 Toyota Camrys and Solaras and Lexus ES 300s to determine whether they are defective. More than a million of the cars are in service.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has begun a preliminary investigation of the latest claims. It is gathering information about 37 complaints of sudden acceleration by owners of the Toyota and Lexus cars.

The complaints include 30 reports of crashes. They involved injuries to five people; one of them was seriously hurt.

If NHTSA decides that the added data warrant more study, it will upgrade its investigation to an engineering analysis. If the review identifies a defect, NHTSA would push for a recall.

The specter of sudden acceleration has surfaced before. In the 1980s, Audi of America Inc. was nearly driven out of the United States by claims that its Audi 5000 sedan was prone to accelerate suddenly and uncontrollably.

Number of complaints to NHTSA about unintended acceleration YEAR COMPLAINTS 1987 2,284 1988 2,930 1989 2,442 1990 2,382 1991 1,939 1992 1,526 1993 1,315 1994 1,321 1995 1,016 1996 912 1997 783 1998 756 1999 1,647 2000 1,382 Source: A mid-2001 analysis of NHTSA records for Sudden Acceleration: The Myth of Driver Error, by J. Castelli, C. Nash, C. Ditlow, M. Pecht

Claims declined

Claims dropped after Audi installed shift-lock mechanisms, which require a motorist to step on the brake before shifting into drive or reverse. All vehicles with automatic transmissions, including those with electronic throttles, now have shift locks.

NHTSA has concluded in many previous cases that most incidents of sudden acceleration are caused not by vehicles' defects but by drivers' errors. Drivers mistakenly stomp on gas pedals, instead of the brakes, the agency says.

Nearly every automaker has faced such claims from time to time. Most of the cases allege faults in cruise control systems.

The Second U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in 2002 reinstated a $1.1 million judgment against Ford Motor Co. in response to the crash of a 1991 Ford Aerostar. Jurors had found that the crash was caused partly by a "negligently designed" cruise control system.

In the largest known judgment on the issue, a Missouri jury last year ordered General Motors to pay an injured woman and her husband $80 million for the crash of a 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass that they blamed on sudden acceleration induced by cruise control. GM is appealing, a spokeswoman says.

Drive by wire

Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc. has not claimed that the latest complaints are wrong but says it has not found similar records of complaints or warranty claims in its files.

Toyota spokesman John Hanson confirmed that electronic throttles first appeared in the vehicles under review in the 2002 model year. The technology is spreading gradually throughout the Toyota and Lexus model lines, he says.

The system uses sensors to indicate the position of the accelerator pedal. A control unit obtains signals from the sensors to adjust the throttle valve and thereby change engine speed. Electronics replace the traditional mechanical connection between the pedal and the throttle, such as a cable and linkage.

NHTSA also is investigating electronic throttles in some 2002-03 Ford F-series pickups and Excursion SUVs. Complaints in that case deal with inability to increase engine speed, not unexpected acceleration.

Clarence Ditlow, director of the consumer group Center for Auto Safety, isn't convinced. He says he believes malfunctioning cruise control systems are to blame for many sudden acceleration incidents.

Other advanced electronics, including throttles, also could be sources of problems, Ditlow says. "We are very concerned about it as you go more and more to drive by wire," he says.

Ditlow is co-author of a new book called Sudden Acceleration: The Myth of Driver Error. The book seeks to refute NHTSA's findings that most incidents of sudden acceleration are caused by driver error. It also accuses automakers of withholding evidence.

The authors, including a professor of engineering and another professor who specializes in electronic systems, acknowledge that electronics help reduce vehicle emissions and improve safety components. But they argue that the auto industry should not force "its customers to debug its electronics."

They write: "The automotive environment, with its broad temperature and humidity variations and vibration - and the long reliable life expected of motor vehicles - can be a particular challenge for electronics that display failures even in more benign circumstances," as in personal computers and home appliances.

The authors cite the industry's efforts to increase the use of electronics in vehicles while trimming costs.

They say: "This pressure can reduce the quality of electronics and electronics integration, thus raising the risks of intermittent faults and defective operation."

See also Technology Puts Unintended Acceleration Back in Spotlight

Reply to
JK

Yes, the feds recently gave up on it. see:

Dave Stone

The problem with all these claims is that every car has an independent braking system that has nothing to do with the throttle. And every car has brakes that can quite easily overcome the engine's thrust, even at full throttle.

OTOH, it has been proven that pedal error is relatively common driver fault.

With the new drive-by-wire throttles, the issue is getting murky again, and there are (unlikely) scenarios where mechanical/electrical failures could cause unintended acceleration. But the driver still has to forget to press on the brake.

When I took driver's ed, we simulated stuck throttle emergencies and the reaction taught was the same as should be used today: step on the brake HARD to stop the car, then turn the ignition off. I doubt they teach this today though.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

Press HARD, eh?

Let me share a experience just yesterday.

A woman approach my wife an I as we were leaving a restaurant. She asked us for assistance with her car. Seems she could get her 2000 Kia started but not into gear. Upshot, the car was borrowed. She was resting her foot on the brake but not depressing it ... which would then overcome the gear selector interlock. Draw your own conclusions. The dumbing down of the American public is working ... it's WORKING!! |^(

Reply to
Philip®

I must agree with Markjen on the brake being strong enough as to hold the car back under full throttle. As young and foolish youths we would " brake torque" big block Chevys, Pontiacs, ect some of which had 400 cube plus engines. This consisted of stomping on the brakes and pushing the pedal to the floor make smoke pour off the rear tires. The brakes never failed under this stress but I can not say the same for the busted motor mounts or the occasional driveshaft that would roll out from under the car.

Reply to
Ice

I'm bothered as much by the occasional bucking (i.e., unintended acceleration) as I am by the hesitation issue. It seems to me that these problems may be one and the same.

My 2004 ES330 often lurches when I first start it up, put it in drive (but not reverse) and take my foot off the brake. It also bucks occasionally right after it hesitates.

I don't consider these flaws safety issues. I can still control the car. They're just annoying. These flaws don't annoy me to the point where I regret having the car. At least not so far.

substantial

preliminary

uncontrollably.

complaints

Safety,

professor who

electronics."

expected of

electronics

Reply to
David Z

Make it a SELLING point. "This isn't a flaw, it's a FEATURE!"

Reply to
Philip®

Let's see now,.......you don't regret this..."flaw"? Even after paying how much for this car?

Reply to
Jeremiah

I didn't say that. I said I don't regret buying this car DESPITE this flaw. I was fully aware of this flaw when I bought it. I still prefer this car over all the others I looked at including BMW, Acura and Infinity.

Reply to
David Z

Sure glad I read this newsgroup. The ES330 is a real sweet car! If it isn't refusing to go when you step on the gas, it is lurching forth by itself! And the engine gunks up with sludge. The brakes have rotors which can be used to replace the rotors which come on the car if the first ones warp too badly. The LS430 is a little bit better, merely refusing to go when you step on the gas. I don't think it suddenly accelerates by itself but I could be wrong. However, the mirror leaks out a deadly poison. And my dealer in Greenville SC sells them so fast you have to have him call you when he gets one in so you can test drive it (or just go to a neighboring town where they have plenty). Yep! Gotta run right out and get one of these magnificant kudzu karz!

Reply to
MCBRUE