No Sense in Buying Lexus anymore!

Stopped in to see the new 07 ES today - too small to be comfortable though. So I asked about the 07 LS460 and they knew nothing. BUT - they did tell me the existing LS430 V8 engine CAN NOT burn gas with 10% ethonal in it !!!!! AND the 430 car had the 18" wheels on it that have short life time tires according to the literature they hand out. Furthermore, the new LS 460 is supposed to come only with the 18" tires that wear out in 15,000 miles or less. So why the heck would anyone want to buy one of these cars? I guess the tire wear is not a matter to worry about since you won't be able to drive with the 10% gasohol anyway! Interestingly, the 07 ES V6 engine will burn 10% gasahol.

Reply to
mcbrue

You could hear a pin drop when the almighty "mcbrue" addressed his adoring fans with these immortal words:

  1. tire size doesn't have anything to do with tire *life*. The life of the tire is dependent on the rubber compound. If the tire wears out in 15k, then get a different tire with a longer tread life.
  2. Who is "they" at the dealership? The salesmen? You mean the same ones that thought my DVD navigation map was updated with a laptop? Salesmen know *zero* about the cars they sell. Most of them have a hard time identifying the various parts under the hood let alone be an expert in fuel types.
  3. I burn 10% ethanol in my LS430 and the only effect I've seen is a loss of a tenth of a mile mpg.
  4. You need to go to a different dealer. One that has more of a clue than the one you're at.
Reply to
kegler

There are just as many reasons TO buy a Lexus, if you can afford it and want it. Main point being, you have to want it.

Reply to
NYLexSC

Please do all concerned a favor buy another car . Move to that group and post your constant bitching and whining for them to enjoy . Treat them to your ES slipping trans wisdom .

Reply to
Ice

You could hear a pin drop when the almighty "stu" addressed his adoring fans with these immortal words:

such as? Tell me, what groups do you frequent? I'd like to subscribe to them so I can bitch like you about topics I know nothing about.

Reply to
kegler

All I know about the tranny problem in ES cars is what I have seen in here. And the dealer tells me that the ES 350 for 07 has a brand new tranny which does NOT have the old problem in it. So this one is all good - step on it and it goes. The new LS 4NN trannies are all good, so not to worry about them at all. At least that is what the salesman says. What do you say?

Reply to
mcbrue

Again.. if your worrying about tire size and having to buy them often.. then you can't afford.. We already had this discussion before about Lexus and other brands... It's not Toyota... It's not Honda.. You gotta pay to play

Reply to
Ruffrydasean

I drive a 2.0 TDI Rover 75 which gets low 40s mpg.

The Rover goes back after a 4 year lease in July and I've just placed a private purchase order for the new GS 450h that gets, what, high 20s, low 30s? How does that make "sense".

Car purchase is what you want. Enjoy it or get something else.

Regards

Steve

Reply to
britwiz

I drive a 2.0 TDI Rover 75 which gets low 40s mpg.

The Rover goes back after a 4 year lease in July and I've just placed a private purchase order for the new GS 450h that gets, what, high 20s, low 30s? How does that make "sense".

Car purchase is what you want. Enjoy it or get something else.

Regards

Steve

Reply to
britwiz

I know nothing of the new ES 07 trans and have will not even see one until I visit the dealer ship next month. However I do know something about ES driving since I have driven an 03 bought new for the last three years.

Before my 5000 mile service and joining this group I noticed the lag and thought it odd but just dealt with it . I should note that since this was the first Lexus product I had bought so I was not being my normal self and driving it like an old lady . My previous car was a 92 Mustang GT with a five speed so needless to say my foot was heavy.

After hearing others complain and learning of an update I had my dealer flash the first trans update. I also changed my driving habits intentionally. Having had the car almost a year I went deliberately back to my old Mustang driving habits. No problems with hesitation and gas milage actually got better . I can not speak for any updates that followed . I am totally satisfied with my ES and if all go well will be driving it for many years to come . I have watched the Trans bitching for quite sometime and have said nothing . With that in mind having shared my experience I will sit back and listen .

Reply to
Ice

Ice - thanks for the comments. You are one of the few to have expressed such positive results and I am glad to hear it. I have had two ES 300s

- 93 and 00 and they are both driven by my wife.

Ruffey - glad to hear you can afford to throw money away! Sure wish I could. In reality, however, it is the total problem of having to go to the tire guy to get new tires - takes a lot of time. And there is the safety factor - any tire that wears out that fast can not be as safe as one which lasts 2 or 3 times longer. And since I will pay cash for any car, it just seems that I am shooting my self in the foot and incurring much higher costs than I need to. Over 100,000 miles, you are talking roughly 3 to 4 more sets of tires at $1200 per set plus the extra time and frustration of dealing with the problem. Kinda like bying those keen three legged jeans they used to advertise on Sat Nite Live a few years ago. But hey! It is idiots like you that elect Bush !!!!!!!

Reply to
mcbrue

You could hear a pin drop when the almighty "mcbrue" addressed his adoring fans with these immortal words:

good gawd, is this the first car you've ever owned? What in the WORLD does longevity have to do with safety? They wear out sooner because they're a softer compound. They hug the road *better* so they're actually BETTER performing tires than high mileage tires.

Look.....two things. First, if you can't afford the upkeep on a high end car, don't buy it. Plain and simple.

Secondly, buy a different brand of tires. There's tons of 18" tires out there. When the OEM tires wear out, go for a less performance oriented and more distance oriented tire. DUH.

Reply to
kegler

Agreed...Tires will last based on their compound. Sure the fact that they are Low pro makes an impact on their life versus a higher series tire, but there ARE SO MANY CHOICES FOR YOU to choose from for 18" tires that will last 30k+ miles if you choose the right tire for your driving style. Tires are not that expensive in relation to how often they need to be changed if you buy the proper tires and maintain your vehicle, here's a tip. Buy tires from TheTireRack, not your local tire shop. Also it takes about half an hour to have any decent shop to mount and balance all 4 tires.

Also the LS430 engine CAN and WILL take the E-10 graded gas, so long as its 91+ octane. What that salesman told you is bullcrap.

Reply to
NYLexSC

good info except for the tire rack nonsense, there are many good local tire shops out there that will meet or beat tire rack, also if there's a problem it is good to have someone local and easy to reach to work things out, lastly there are many good brands of tires that tire rack doesn't carry. the moral to the story is while tire rack can be a good source, look around there are some good if not better places to get your tires from

WARNING: NEVER USE 1800FLOWERS.COM They can't deliver as promised

Reply to
jdoe

You could hear a pin drop when the almighty jdoe addressed his adoring fans with these immortal words:

case in point. We got our tires from Costco for $10 less per tire than Tirerack *and* it included spin balancing mounting and disposal.

Not to mention free lifetime tire rotation and puncture repair. We also had the added benefit of blowing hundreds of needless dollars in the store while we waited for the car. 8-P

Reply to
kegler

blowing hundereds of NEEDLESS dollars.....or NEEDLESSLY blowing hundreds of dollars :p ss I wish I had NEEDLESS dollars to blow :D

Reply to
NYLexSC

I figured that if he needed them, then he wouldn't have blown them.

You must've had at least few needless dollars in order to buy an SC, eh?

Reply to
David Z

Those weren't needless, I don't know what I'd do without my baby girl :)

Reply to
NYLexSC

Tire horror stories abound. Whatever you do, stay away from Les Schwab. The fact that they lied to me to sell me a set of tires was bad enough but when I went to remove the rims to paint the calipers, I had to use a breaker bar to get the lugs loose. I am used to getting tires at Costco, where they use a torque wrench on the lug nuts. Les Schawb had their air wrenches set on kill. At least 150 ft.lbs. At the recommended torque for the lug nuts, 73 ft lbs, they can be removed with the supplied Lexus tire wrench. I couldn't budge them with a long star wrench. Had to use the breaker bar. When I take it in for the next tire rotation, they are going to hear about it. As far as buying a Lexus goes. I bought my 2001 one year ago, I have done exactly nothing to it except routine maintenance. (oil, etc) I have friends who own MB, BMW and Audi's. Trips to the service department for repairs is a way of life. What you get when you buy a Lexus is a luxury car without the repair costs. I have never regretted buying mine.

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Bill in Yakima