Question for Lexus: Is Lexus the new Mitsubishi... or Audi?

Here is the intro to the New York Times article of 2/15:

"DETROIT, Feb. 15 - Federal regulators have opened a safety investigation into 2004 models of the best-selling vehicle from Toyota Motor's Lexus division, the RX330 sport utility vehicle, after receiving complaints about failures in its power brakes." endquote

Transmission lag in the ES series that "works as designed". Failing brakes in the RX330 that only a few people have problems with. Is this a symptom of ambivalence on customer safety? Or are some Lexus drivers just excessively sensitive to lag issues or error-prone? For those of us with these problems, the answer is clear. Seriously, Lexus, will it take someone dying in or because of your cars to force you to take decisive, lifesaving action? I'm sure Lexus did the calculation and decided the cost of reimbursing for the rare death caused by bad design was cheaper than a massive recall.

Reply to
ichoor0416

Wow! If you have read the article regarding the Rx330 you would see that the complaint is soft brake pedel when at a stop that is being complained about not, the vehicle not stopping when braking. Hard to have a accident when at a complete stop.

The ES330 concern is only with certain vehicles, under certain conditions, by a very few drivers and it relates to the computerized throttle and application when depressed and depends on where the shift points are. They told me if when depressing the throttle you allow the vehicle to respond, instead of of constant application of throttle (which would cause a greater delay) because you are telling the car new info, the computer is trying to think, it just takes time. Since then I have had no problems.....NO PROBLEMS!

I was glad they took time to explain to me, but then again I listened instead of complaining...just a thought!

Reply to
smk_drifter

I don't know what article you are reading, but the 2/15 NY Times article originally referenced here, titled "U.S. Opens Safety Inquiry on Lexus S.U.V." states (paragraph 3) "The government's inquiry was prompted by complaints from 10 Lexus owners who told the agency of brake problems, with one saying, 'My brakes went completely out while traveling down a highway at

70 miles per hour.'" A later section reads "Nancy Rosin, 63, of Franklin Lakes, N.J., said her RX330 was her fourth Lexus but would probably be her last. The power brakes on her S.U.V. failed when her son was backing out of a driveway in Vermont in December, she said, and he had to jam down on the brakes to stop. Ms. Rosin was not among the customers who complained to regulators. She said a Lexus dealer had led her to believe that the problem stemmed from using the parking brake, and only later learned about brake problems in other RX330's."

Nothing about any problems while stopped.

Reply to
Cliff Chinaski

Oh! I'm sorry I was refering to the TSIB from Lexus regarding soft brake pedel feel, that has nothing to do with brake failure only "with a soft pedel at stop on cold starts". I guess the NHTSA will determine if there is a Vehicle failure or "Driver error" or possibly even "weather related concerns". I'm sure if we were all there when this occured we would know the cause.

The thing that I always remember was "unattended acceleration" just about DESTROYED Audi. When it all came out it was "DRIVER ERROR". Now that all manufacturers make you step on the brake pedel before shifting into gear, how many "Unattended acclerations" are there......0. But the drivers of those cars were convinced that Audi's had a defect causing them to slam into their garages, 60 Minutes, did a Big Story on it. End result, they did not put their foot on the BRAKE pedel...BUT the Gas pedel...YEAH that would cause you to slam into your garage.

Reply to
smk_drifter