Re: Lex audio replacement??

Anything that's out there represents custom dash work

Not correct. Several companies now make dash kits for Lexus ES models. No "custom dash work" at all

and a wiring hack.

You are partially correct. If you find some 'hack' to do the work. Yes you will get a hack job. But on the other hand, there are professionals, that are quality orientated. Just find someone that cares, and a new stereo is entirely possible.

Reply to
Masterson

There is no such word as "orientated". It's "oriented". Period. (This is like teachers calling themselves "certificated". TEACHERS. I guess 'certified' wasn't enough. I'm waiting for them to go all out and bastardize it into "certificationalized". Maybe I've missed some suffix here; probably. Probably they'll make it even worse. But I digress.)

Anyway, let's call a spade a spade: someone will be HACKING into the car's wiring harness, destroying it. There's no excuse for this, not really, but the industry hasn't produced a wire harness adapter to solve the problem.

Like the first guy said, thanks but no thanks. I don't want anyone, no matter how good he is, HACKING away at my wiring harness.

If they're as good as you say, they'd be able to find a mating connector from a dead radio and custom fashion a wire harness adapter.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I've met a few teachers that were "certifiable". Perhaps they're trying now to make the distinction so no one mistakes them for being nut cases.

My point exactly. Unless and until someone makes a plug adapter wiring harness for the Lexus audio system, anything else is tantamount to butchery. As bad as I might want some gizmo, I swear by all that's holy, I'll never want it -that- bad.

No one's going to butcher the wiring harness (or dash) in my $20,000 Dodge pickup truck either. If it cannot be done the right way, with the proper adapters and dash panels made for the job, then by God it will not -be- done, period. At least not in any vehicle I'll ever own. Obviously we've been cast among a few heathens with more money than brains who just don't give a damn about the integrity of anything they own.

These same halfwits no doubt take their Lexus to places like Jiffy Lube and sweat like hogs in a farrowing pen while riding in the fine leather seats, destroying them too. I'm sorry, those people, in my opinion, have no appreciation for such a fine automobile and therefore shouldn't be allowed to have one. They've obviously never had to work very hard for the money it takes to buy one.

Reply to
New Owner

Yup.

I put a SkyFi in and am running it through the tape player. I'm quite pleasantly surprised at how good it sounds.

Beats hell out of hacking the wiring harness to death. I don't mind the dash kit; shoot, it looks pretty good. But all I need is a simple wire harness adapter, and no one makes it??? Silly.

XM sounds good. If I *really* wanted my own tunes in there, I'd get an iPod and run it through the cassette player. No question. I may still do that.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I started this post, thanks for all the comments. I hooked my 10 gig mp3 player into the tape player with a Sony adaptor. It sounds VERY good, so much so that I dismissed the idea of a new head unit. The tape adaptor works well with portable CD players too.

About the wiring... Circuit City in one city I visited says he can get an adaptor that will mate any head unit to the speakers, completely bypassing the Lex amp. I saw him look it up on his computer. Funny thing is that the store in my city never heard of it :) thank you SONY for a great little $20 tape adaptor.

Best I can figure is that it would cost close to $1000 to do it right, and that won't happen on any eight year old car that I own.

Reply to
TANKIE

Reply to
Buckshot LeFunk

I have an FM transmitter, and it sounds like crap. Glad to know there are good ones that work. The tape drive motor runs while I use the tape interface; not sure if that hurts anything, or how long it will last.

Also heard of an XFM FM connector that goes right between the antenna lead and the head unit. Is that how the ipod FM device works?

My MP3 is a Tigrt Direct 10 gig unit, not quiet as bib as the ipod, but it will hold over 150 CDs.

Reply to
TANKIE

It is convenient...

It also sounds like crap.