A possible answer to that astra diesel no go problem

Someone wrote in a little while ago about a non starting astra diesel, he cured it by adding a power feed to the cut off solenoid on the pump. Apparently there is a control module bolted to the back of the engine, held on by 4 bolts, if you remove it and open it up, in the middle is a largish pin, this pin is the earth for the electronics inside, the end corrodes and fails to earth, some cleaning up, adding a touch of solder and the cut off solenoid will be energised again.

HTH someone.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Hi, that was me with the mk3 1.7TD AstraVan. I did read on various forums about the dry joint problem in the control units. Mine was the vauxhall GM engine so didn't have the diesel control unit (I think that was fitted to the Isuzu engines).

In my case there was 3 wires going into the immobiliser unit on the pump (one earth, one live with ign on, and the third wire goes live with the ign on and immobiliser LED deactivated. All seemed ok here but having removed the sheer bolts to reveal the stop solenoid I noticed that although there was battery voltage going to the immobiliser block, there was no voltage at the wire leading from the immobiliser to the solenoid. I bypassed this and connected a wire from the stop solenoid to one of the wires that's live only with the ign on and immobiliser LED deactivated. It then clicked into life and started. Cheers.

Reply to
Redwood

That seems like a really secure immobiliser system !!!

Reply to
Mrcheerful