Black Diesel Engine Oil

get-rounds...)

I take the bit about accessibility on board, but I am also willing to bet that every mechanic on this forum, must every day encounter a really horrible job and think to him/herself 'if only they'd have had sufficient intelligence to have done X Y or Z, it wouldn't have cost them a penny more in manufacturing, and the job could have been completed easily and in a fraction of the time.

I can remember many years ago a mechanic telling me about a certain French manufactured car (Renault 16?) on which a particular repair such job was such an absolute nightmare to carry out, that apparently it wasn't unknown for a section of the body work to be cut out and then re-welded back into place when the job had been completed!...Does anyone happen to know if there's any truth in this, or was he making it up?

Reply to
Ivan

Dunno about that one, but AFAIK a standard trick for a CX heater matrix is to cut a slot in the interior.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

There have been many instances of this where the bodywork concerned is the floorpan or bulkhead in order to get at bellhousing bolts etc. The rover P6 had a gear selector problem where I cut a big chunk out of the transmission tunnel, but that was always on cars which were or soon would be bangers.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Ivan wrote: I know it's going off on a bit of a tangent, but as a layman (so I may be

The current Fiat Punto 1.2 8 valve petrol engine comes to mind.... The right side engine mounting is fixed to the engine by bolting it right through the centre of the cambelt run.

Reply to
Mik

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Ivan" saying something like:

I have a vague recollection of something on the R16, but the one that sticks in my mind is the clutch cable pedalbox end on the Viva HA car and van. It was an utter nightmare to fiddle about under the dash so many mechanics took a sharpened chisel to the tray under the bonnet that was above the footwell and cut a 2" sq hole. 10 minutes later, new cable in place.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

IIRC it was the floorpan and a short cut way to replacing the clutch, no argument a total botch, but why do manufacturers design things that are so bloody awful that it drives people into having to resort to doing this sort of thing?

Reply to
Ivan

Because they can.

Remember the Mini fan-belt? You had to feed it around the fan's blades one at a time and you were allowed to charge for 10 minutes servicing time. A better shroud design migh have put tuppence on the price of a new car.

(Yes, I know they were already giving them away at a loss. We may not have had the only bad management in the industry but we certainly had the worst outside of the communist countries.)

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

The shroud was tight fitting for a reason - to improve fan efficiency. Side mounted rad, remember. Most are just safety guards.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

Seem to recall a trick shown on tv if you needed to fit a certain water pipe on a mini .

IMS the pipe was about 3-4 inches long and a real bastard .

The trick was to get a suitable nut and bolt and screw it down to take about a inch off the length - then put it in the freezer overnight .

Cant remember how long the water pipe took to expand after it was fitted the next day .

Reply to
Vhit

The message from Vhit contains these words:

Yeah, you went down the car shop and bought a "concertina pipe" which went in with about half the effort.

Reply to
Guy King

And lasted a couple of months. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Last one I fitted was still going years later.

Reply to
Guy King

Last one I bought is still in the garage! I found it a couple of weeks ago, still in it's packaging, while I was looking for something else, natch.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat