BMW 525tds Estate steering problem

My daughter and her husband have a 1997 BMW 525tds Estate which has an ongoing 'steering problem?' Living over a 100 miles from them and trying to understand the problem from the garble I get over the phone from someone who has no comprehension of mechanics what-so-ever I find it extremely difficult to give any sort of opinion as to the cause. There is a slight shimmy on the steering wheel at 40mph, OK at higher speeds, but apparently wheel balancing has not removed it.

My question is :-

Does anyone know of a good reliable garage or individual in the Claygate, Surrey area that can diagnose the fault?

TIA

Pete

Reply to
""manx.exile "

Almost guaranteed to be the radius arm bushes if the mileage is over about

50k and it's led a reasonably hard life. They're fluid filled and rather difficult to tell if they're worn, as there is some movement even when new. They can be replaced, but if a garage is doing it it's easier to change the complete arms. Eurocarparts sell them. You might find the group in my sig useful for matters E39. You won't get any spam etc associated with it.
Reply to
Dave Plowman

Pete wrote:-

Dave Plowman replied:-

Having looked at both Eurocarparts & GSFcarparts sites I cannot find reference to radius arms/bushes. Could it be the lower control arm/bush you are refering to? If not could I ask you to humour me and explain the exact location of the offending part ;O) I have absolutely no knowledge of the BMW, I have a 230 Merc and a Laguna.

TIA Pete

Reply to
""manx.exile "

Yup. Sorry about the different name.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Many thanks Dave. With your info to start me off, I have made a search of the web and found quite a few refences to this shimmying phenomena and all state " change the bushes! ".

The only problem is that no one seems to state exactly which bushes/arms to change - top or bottom. I guess a good bet is to change all and that being the case they will be repro rather than OEM :o)

Thanks again

Pete

Reply to
""manx.exile "

IIRC, it's the lower ones which give trouble. Ask Eurocarparts which ones they sell the most of. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Good thinking Batman !

Reply to