Brake/Clutch DOT4 fluid... OK to use after 3 years sat in garage?

Hi all,

3 years ago, I bought a 5 litre container of DOT4 brake fluid. I changed the brake/clutch fluid on my then car, a Pug 206.

Unsurprisingly enough, I had over 2.5Litres left. I left this in the garage. The lid was screwed tightly on but of course the silver foil/paper disc has been removed.

I now have a VW Golf MKIV estate that I would like to change the brake/clutch fluid on.

Now can I use the DOT4 fluid thats been stored in my garage undisturbed for 3 years or must I use a new fresh bottle of DOT4 fluid?

Looking forward to your replies,

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen H

For the price, I'd just buy new. Not worth the chance.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Hi all,

3 years ago, I bought a 5 litre container of DOT4 brake fluid. I changed the brake/clutch fluid on my then car, a Pug 206.

Unsurprisingly enough, I had over 2.5Litres left. I left this in the garage. The lid was screwed tightly on but of course the silver foil/paper disc has been removed.

I now have a VW Golf MKIV estate that I would like to change the brake/clutch fluid on.

Now can I use the DOT4 fluid thats been stored in my garage undisturbed for 3 years or must I use a new fresh bottle of DOT4 fluid?

Looking forward to your replies,

Stephen.

Buy new. And my tip for mk4 golf bleeding is after the calipers are done bleed the 2 bleed screws on the master cyclinder! you will not know how long it took me to figure that out hehe

Reply to
Jeff

You can, but you shouldn't.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I should add that you could always test it, but the tester costs more than fresh fluid.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Keep it by for paint stripper.

Reply to
AC

it is a good weedkiller.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Brake fluid is very sensitive to moisture, I think if I was taking the time to do the job I'd buy new as well.

My mountain bike has hydraulic brakes and despite being totally sealed, the y some how manage to absorb water to the extent that the brakes lock on. I have to undo the bleed nipple and drain some fluid out. My theory is that the damp causes the fluid to expand and there is no automatic adjustment a s in a car system.

Reply to
Simon Parker