Camshaft swap - mix and match?

My exhaust camshaft has been damaged (VW1.8, 20v, non turbo).

I've had trouble finding the specific cam for a non-turbo engine, but have find one for a turbo engine. Physically, they are very similar, apart from the camshaft gives around

1mm less lift (i.e., the cam lobe is higher on the non-turbo camshaft).

Any idea if it would work with this cam? I'm assuming it would run, but what problems could I expect - reduced power and possible burnt valves are 2 suspects I immediately thought of, anyone have any views on it?

Ta Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

sounds as though it would be a milder cam than original and so should work fine.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yes it would.

Loss of performance from lack of lift and increased duration.

Reply to
Conor

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember alan@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) saying something like:

No reason you would burn a valve, but expect a bit less power. Not much less, and possibly not even noticeable.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I would check the profile of the cam and get the actual figures. Duration angles and lift. the turbo cam may be very detrimental to the performance.

A suggestion, not sure what has been damaged - lobes or journals, is to ask a performance shop can they get the camshaft reground or an exchange one.

or ask a dealer if they have any warranty ones kicking around. They change heads as a unit so may have a cam.

Rob

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to be putting it in, if it affects performance too much, then it isnt a massive job to replace it, whereas finding the right part is a real pain - I can buy new at £330+ vat, but I'm not paying that much for a cam, when a 2nd hand engine can be had for £450. Ta Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Turbo cam's are often milder than the NA version, so it would un-doubtably run, and possibly be slightly better in the mid range torque wise, but loose out at the top end.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..