Camshaft swap - mix and match?

My exhaust camshaft has been damaged (VW1.8, 20v, non turbo).
I've had trouble finding the specific cam for a non-turbo engine, but
have find one for a turbo engine. Physically, they are very similar, apart from the camshaft gives around 1mm less lift (i.e., the cam lobe is higher on the non-turbo camshaft).
Any idea if it would work with this cam? I'm assuming it would run, but what problems could I expect - reduced power and possible burnt valves are 2 suspects I immediately thought of, anyone have any views on it?
Ta Alan.

A.Lee wrote:

sounds as though it would be a milder cam than original and so should work fine.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to be putting it in, if it affects performance too much, then it isnt a massive job to replace it, whereas finding the right part is a real pain - I can buy new at 330+ vat, but I'm not paying that much for a cam, when a 2nd hand engine can be had for 450. Ta Alan.

On 05/05/2010 11:56, A.Lee wrote:

Yes it would.

Loss of performance from lack of lift and increased duration.
--
Conor I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember alan@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) saying something like:

No reason you would burn a valve, but expect a bit less power. Not much less, and possibly not even noticeable.
On 5/05/2010 8:56 PM, A.Lee wrote:

I would check the profile of the cam and get the actual figures. Duration angles and lift. the turbo cam may be very detrimental to the performance.
A suggestion, not sure what has been damaged - lobes or journals, is to ask a performance shop can they get the camshaft reground or an exchange one.
or ask a dealer if they have any warranty ones kicking around. They change heads as a unit so may have a cam.

Turbo cam's are often milder than the NA version, so it would un-doubtably run, and possibly be slightly better in the mid range torque wise, but loose out at the top end.
Tim..