Completely off topic, sorry

I subscribe to the caravanning & motorcaravanning newsgroups as well as this one; the caravanning group especially is plagued with trolls and crossposters.

Without getting onto the subject of why some idiots do this, how do you keep them away from here? Is it because there are a lot of muscular mechanic types here as opposed to the genteel caravanning folks or have you some more sophisticated electronic strategy [ such as Conor -:) ]

Kilfile isn't very effective as they keep reinventing themselves.

Reply to
Steptoe

You need to a) ignore them and b) have sufficient traffic that they don't dominate. Then they'll get bored and go away.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Seconded. They end up talking to themselves for a while until they get fed up. Creating a filter/rule is the easiest.

Reply to
Conor

The message from "Steptoe" contains these words:

Blanking them is a good start. As soon as the touch off you add them to your killfile. They're only in it for the audience participation - so don't participate.

Reply to
Guy King

Caravanners seem to be a much maligned group of people. People like Clarkson don't help much with their petty whinging about being stuck behind caravans on the A-whatever to Cornwall and my guess is that a lot of the trolls you mention are also anti-caravan, hence the reason why those news groups are particularly targeted.

Just killfile and ignore them.

Reply to
Michael Cotton

The message from "Michael Cotton" contains these words:

Only what many of 'em deserve. I could count on the feet of one leg the number of caravans who paused to allow strings up 20 or so cars to pass while driving in Wales this summer. I'd need a millipede to count the number of times they didn't.

Reply to
Guy King

Sad isn't it? I'm afraid it's just one of the reasons I don't use that group any more. There are a lot of idiots who seem to see caravanners as an easy target.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Those are not "real" caravanners, they are holidaymakers who in general only use the 'van once a year and have woefully underpowered towing vehicles. Real caravanners have towcars with enough muscle to cope and rarely hold up other drivers; it's more likely to be some idiot in front of the caravannner.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

The message from Chris Bolus contains these words:

Doesn't change the effect though. I go to Wales and I end up stuck in a long tail of cars behind a caravan doing 40 up hill, down dale and through the villages where it's 30mph. Those of us who're thorougly fed up with the whole business care not for the finer distinctions of "real" caravanists and "holiday" caravanists since it doesn't change how stuck behind them we are.

Reply to
Guy King

Steptoe wrote on Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:26:18 -0000:

1) kill file them.

2) ignore them.

Reply to
David Taylor

Yes I do sympathise, but unfortunately the Muppets with a tow bar and caravan spoil it for everybody.

I recall partaking in a test of the Volvo V70 2.5 TDI towing a caravan and deliberately not holding up traffic. :)

Reply to
DervMan

Aye it's frustrating.

Ignoring. Or if you like I'll keep 'em busy for a bit? :)

Reply to
DervMan

Oh dear, no magic solution then, obviously I don't respond and I will have to look on kilfiling as another of those neccessary chores related to owning a computer.

As I seem to have stirred up a little controversy, I should say that I have never towed anything other than a small trailer so can't defend the caravanning fraternity, but I do drive a motorhome. In our defence I will say we try not to hold folks up unnecessarily, but the weight of up to 3 1/2 tons of vehicle has to be taken into account.

I am especially cautious when weather or road conditions preclude a quick stop, after all no-one would want me running into them.

Reply to
Steptoe

You and I both. The Ka suffers from "small car syndrome," with a double dose of "it can't be going that fast" and "heh I'll pull out in front he's not going fast" too. :-(

Reply to
DervMan

Amazing how fast pedals can propel you. :-)

Reply to
Howard Neil