Disc Brakes BMW e34 525i

What is the procedure to replace the disc brakes I have replaced brake discs in the past but never a BMW can anyone help is it more or less similar to the Golf having unbolted the callipers you take the retaining screw of and the disc falls off . On the BMW there seems to be a hex bolt 6 mm ??

Reply to
Bhup

You need to remove the calipers as you would to change the pads, and also the caliper mounting brackets. Then the countersunk allen screw in the disc hub. The discs should fall off - they don't normally jam like some cars.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Excellent news, 'cos it looks like I need to replace the discs on my newly acquired E28.

Reply to
Sean

Just to add that on the rears you might have to slacken the handbrake shoes adjustment - this is accessible through one of the stud holes - at the bottom of the brake.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Don't think that applies on this one, 'cos it's got drums. The car's losing brake fluid and one rear drum is wet; have a replacement cylinder and a set of shoes to go on this weekend. Will be getting front discs later, after I've sourced good quality parts at a reasonable price (as a couple of places I've looked so far have very different prices).

Reply to
Sean