Headlamp Power

Don't know where to put this in such a rambling thread, but for what it's worth I have fitted Philips X-Treme Vision H1 & H7 to my car. Brightest legal ones I've ever used.

One thing I really hate is driving on an unlit road at night and following someone in the leading car who doesn't use main beam.

Reply to
Ramsman

Could you explain the difference between and 'arc' and a 'discharge'?

Reply to
Fredxx

In principle or practice?

Wiki would probably be quicker if you want chapter and verse. Arc lamps are ancient technology.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

HID are a form of arc lamp. They are a renewed/new technology and you should try not to get confused with old fashioned carbon arc lamps, not that I've ever seen one.

and
"High-intensity discharge lamps (HID lamps) are a type of electrical gas-discharge lamp which produces light by means of an electric arc between tungsten electrodes housed inside a translucent or transparent fused quartz or fused alumina arc tube." They may be ancient technology, but so is fire.

Reply to
Fredxx

Thanks for finding the information I pointed you at. Hope you learned something.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But that's because you are driving an asthmatic fart and can't imagine that any other car could be 2x faster than you and so overtake safely in less than 1/2 visible distance.

If you put main beam on they wouldn't be tailgating you any more. Then when you next see them you get to phone the meat wagon.

Reply to
Peter Hill

So there must be something up with your driving if you can take people prisoner with a Mustang. Maybe you drive it like a Bond 3 three wheeler and not how it was made to be driven?

Reply to
Peter Hill

'Fraid not.

Reply to
Fredxx

What didn't you understand? Perhaps others can help you with it.

I've seen arc lamps in use - many years ago.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Careful there, Dave! Fredxx is one of the very few true polymaths on Usenet these days. He knows his stuff way better than anyone else I can think of on *any* newsgroup.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I was pulling someone up who seemed to have a lack of engineering knowledge when they said "High powered lights for film etc are all now discharge types, not arcs."

They didn't have a clue when asked what the difference was when they are pretty much one and the same thing.

FYI HID lamps were demonstrated in the early 18th Century.

Reply to
Fredxx

Why was he asking for the difference between arc and HID to be explained, then?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sorry for using the terms for such luminaires as used in the industry.

I forgot I was talking to someome who doesn't understand such things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

From someone who is now admitting they don't know the difference between a discharge and an arc.

Reply to
Fredxx

Because someone who hasn't a clue about basic engineering seemed to think they were different things, and that HID lamps were a new invention.

Reply to
Fredxx

Thought that was the purpose of your question. Trying - and failing - to be clever again.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You really are a pillock. If you really think an arc lamp is exactly the same as HID. But then you never understood what BHP is either.

Arc is one of the oldest forms of high intensity wide spectrum lighting. Practical wide spectrum HID relatively recent.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Were you the idiot who said "High powered lights for film etc are all now discharge types, not arcs."

You have demonstrated on so many occasions you don't have a clue about Newtonian/Classical mechanics.

If you believe differently I would be happy to demonstrate your inadequacies once more by repeating a question put to you on number of occasions you have proven you don't have a clue about power and acceleration.

BHP is not an SI unit, it is not a fixed quantity either, with various countries defining it in slight different ways. Much like the mile.

The HID lamp technology was demonstrated in 1705, a century before Davy's arc lamp. You really don't have clue. Best stick to sound.

Reply to
Fredxx

Then why make claims above your ability?

Reply to
Fredxx

Nobody in film ever refers to an xenon arc lamp. HMI, CSI, etc. No point in excessive words. You might learn something there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)