Overheating Punto

Punto 1.2S 98(T) 43K miles

My wife asked me to have a look at her Punto as she said it was a little lumpy on first start up. Started the beast up and sure enough a misfire on initial startup that soon disappeared. Road tested it and noted: Water temp gauge running high after 1 mile No heat from heater Steam from exhaust once engine warm Coolant levels normal and clean No emulsification on filler cap Oil on dipstick clean.

Pretty sure its a head gasket failure, seems a common issue on the Punto. Incidentally is it an easy enough DIY job, I've done a Sunny & Tipo head gasket in the past so I'm pretty competent.

Second opinions requested before I shell out.

Reply to
Fred Kruger

you have all the symptoms, the final proof would be a gas test, or take the plugs out after it has been left to cool overnight, you will probably find that a quick spin over will throw water out of a cylinder (this is why it misfires at first, wet plug)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful