Petrol filler won't open - Mondeo

Pulled up for fuel and spent ten minutes struggling at pump trying to open petrol filler flap. I can hear a quiet click everytime I pull the lever but after 50 goes I had to give up and leave forecourt with no petrol.

Any ideas?

Can I open flap by pressing or pulling round the edges like I could do with my old Sierra? Tried but doesn't seem to want to shift.

1999 V Mondeo 1.8 LX
Reply to
Rockingrabbit

you can pull the cable inside the boot, wedging a pen in the flap before pulling the release can work, there is also a modified fuel flap made to cure this fault (not sure what years applicable)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

In message , Rockingrabbit writes

That happened to me soon after I bought my Mondeo, and I went back to the dealer. One of the sales erks (short for executives) prised it open, then after greasing the catch ' gave me the rest of the tiny tube of grease. I'd better grease it again before it sticks.. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

Thanks for ideas. I've sorted it now. Took the panel off in the boot and pulled the end of the cable. It opened but after closing again would not open using the lever by the drivers seat. After a few goes it opened ok, but now greased up the catch. We had lots of fine dust here last week. All the cars were covered in it for days on end. It blows off the newly ploughed fields this time of year when it gets dry. I've ended up greasing all my locks and catches and even given the engine compartment a hoover out with the aid of a dry paint brush as it gets everywhere and tends to dry out open parts that need a little oil or grease to run smoothly. Surprised how free of oil and grease the engine is. If it was my old Sierra it would never be like this. I ran an oily rag over the accessable moving bits as this dust is a killer for bits that need lubrication.

Regards Rockingrabbit

Reply to
Rockingrabbit

I just used to be able to pull it open when the release cable failed.

MattF

Reply to
MattF