Quality foot pump recommendations

My last two foot pumps have been Halfords branded twin cylinder jobbies. On both of them the rivets holding the foot plate to the body have worn, eventually failing.

I would like a more sturdy alternative. Any suggestions? Don't want a plug-in compressor type as it will be used for bike tyres, footballs, lilos etc.

Also how much more effort are the single cylinder ones? Does another cylinder make a big difference, i.e. twice as much air per push?

Reply to
Scion

I had the same problem with Halfords ones, and after some research got one of these:

I can recommend it, with the caveat that the gauge is as inaccurate as these things always are.

I've used both single and dual cylinder one; on balance, I prefer the single. The extra effort needed to operate the double ones makes for a slower job for me.

If using for high volume, low pressure things like air beds, the twin might be better. However, if you are going to regularly need to inflate that type of thing, an inflator intended for that job would be best, and is inexpensive.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thus spake Chris Whelan ( snipped-for-privacy@prejudicentlworld.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

Problem is, how do you determine how accurate they are? What do you use to measure? I have several tyre pressure gauges of various descriptions and they all give different readings.

I've had a Hella single-barrel footpump (with pressure gauge) for about 25 years and it's still going strong. I bought a Halfords dual-barrel one about

5 years ago to keep in the car and it (the pump ;-) fell apart within a couple of years. I now keep the Hella one in the car instead.
Reply to
A.Clews
[...]

Generally, there doesn't seem to be any way to test them, no.

I was lucky enough to have access to all sorts of test equipment whilst I was working. I rigged up a tester for car pressure gauges, and tried all the ones I had, and those of colleagues.

Most of them were acceptably accurate; the best one was within 0.5psi across its usable range, so that's the one I use.

Interestingly, (or perhaps not!) it was the cheapest digital one that Halford's sold.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Seconded

MattF

Reply to
MattF

MattF wibbled on Thursday 22 July 2010 17:14

No thirded. I had one of those and the piston rod bent.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Seconded. I also found my cheap Halfords digital guage accurate within about 0.5 psi, after I checked it at work against a few 'accurate' industrial type pressure guages. Mike..

Reply to
Mike G

Hmmm.... the reviews for the twin barrel version are shockingly bad - mostly

1 star. I think I'll pass on the Michelin. Thanks for the info anyway.
Reply to
Scion