radiator sealants........

.........are they any good or a waste of money. suspect i have a minor leak, probably can get hold of a second hand radiator next weekend. in the meantime, as a temporary fix or if any good a permanent fix thinking about a good sealant.

any advice would be appreciated.

regards azhar bmw e36 320i 1993, 127k miles

ps please don't reply to email address, don't access anymore.

Reply to
Az

For a get you home fix, they are fine- Bars stop leak or Holts radweld work ok, for small external leaks. DO NOT leave it in the system for long periods unless you want your heater matrix and rad blocked up though, as after awhile the stuff goes gummy and forms lumps.

(If you have a Honda 2.5 or 2.7 V6 do not under any circumstances use radweld as these have very small coolant passages around the head which will block and lead to overheating. ) You don't but its worth re-mentioning to other readers.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I've used Barr's Leaks on several problems, including leaving it in for several months "'til I got round to it". No problems. I keep some in my boot toolkit all the time for emergencies. OTOH, Holts Radweld ruined a slightly leaking radiator within an hour - gummed it up completely; had to throw it away. Don't try it!

HTH, Dave

Reply to
Dave

It worked for me, I was told I needed a new radiator which had a tiny leak. Couldn't afford a new one at the time so I used one of the radiator sealants which stopped the leak. Ran the car for another 4 years before I sold it with not a drop leaking out .I would used it again if I had the same problem.

Reply to
Mike

Don't use Bars or Holts because both can block the heater matrix or even the cooling system itself. "Wynns Radiator Stop Leak" is the best.

Reply to
Chewie