Renault Clio Diesel drive shaft

Had a fault on a Clio van. Gearbox was replaced a few months ago. Suddenly lost drive. After a few checks, we discovered that the circlip which holds the outer sleeve of the inner LH driveshavt CV had come off. This is inside the transmission housing on the gearbox behind the rubber bellows on the driveshaft. Problem is, I can't get the sleeve to go back in, it's as if the planetary gears have moved. Anyone know what might have happened there?

Reply to
Brian

the gears usually only misplace if BOTH shafts are out, but I suppose if the shaft came out under drive then something could go. Sounds like it needs a gearbox place to take a look.

Reply to
mrcheerful

I've just been sitting trying to visualise all the bits here. So the circlip that holds the tripod joint (sleeve as you call it), had come off and the shaft had slid out.

I'm guessing you've managed to get the tripod joint back on the drive shaft with a new circlip, and that you now can't get the tripod joint back into the gearbox? If that's the case,then these can be awkward at times. First thing to check is that the three main rollers on the tripod are floating, and havn't become jammed near the end (some are held on with circlips, others the ends are peened over. the peened over ones can slide along and jam over the peened section). Make sure the main rollers are all free (they should slide back and forth slightly). It's then just a case of maneuvering the shaft about at various angles to get the complete tripod to slide back in. Most of the time they'll just drop straight back in, other times they just won't go, and sometimes require a little bit gentle persuasion to get them back in.

And are you trying to get it back in with the other end of the driveshaft still in the hub? If you are, take the shaft out the hub, and put it in the gearbox end first. The shaft should go in easier if you put it in level.

Reply to
moray

No, I can't get the tripod joint back into the box sufficient to replace a circlip, it is out by at least 10mm. The shaft slides into this part easily.

Reply to
Brian

Surely you need to pull the tripod joint out of the diff, it's meant to be part of the drive shaft. The shaft and tripod push into the diff as one. Lou Bricant

Reply to
Lou Bricant

All the circlips should be on the shaft before you try putting it back in the box...

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

It comes out easy enough, but won't go back in fully.

Reply to
Brian

No, this circlip holds the end of the shaft into the diff housing, and fits into that once the shaft is located.

Reply to
Brian