Rubbing down a rubber wiper blade.

I bought some new bosh wiper blades about a year ago and one rubber blade is causing slight streaks about an inch wide and annoyingly just where i want to look out at my eye level. I have looked as carefully as i can, and cannot see any aberration on the rubber edge. I have tried cleaning everything in case there is grease about. I cannot swop with the nearside blade as they are of a different length. I wondering if i could try to gently 'file' and 'clean' the edge with a very soft abrasive like a pumice stone ? Grateful for any suggestions.

Reply to
john west

Replace them, a year is good for a wiper blade.

Reply to
rp

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks. But i dont use the car much about 5K a year, so they have not had much use at all. And it has sort of got my curiosity going now about how I might fix them.

Reply to
john west

IME that's more likely to be a greasy deposit on the screen, rather than a blade fault.

Use an abrasive glass cleaner if you have some, or an abrasive bath cleaner such as Cif.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I think you would have to know how important (to good wiping) a clean, sharp (square cut?) edge was, plus, what (negative) impact any 'set' in the rubber itself had (that you probably couldn't do much about)?

The only way I can think of re ensuring a consistent edge would be to run it longwise over some very fine 'wet', wet an dry on a flat surface. The problem would be getting the pressure consistent across the whole blade but if you got the pressure 'right', the natural pressure equalisation of the blade design itself should help.

Never done any of the above myself but you have little to lose by trying stuff eh. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Are you sure the wiper hinge is free to move? If the blade is not pressed to the screen as it should be then you will get streaky bits.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I'd a feeling wiper blades are coated with something which wears off rendering them near useless. As I've never been able to see any difference between a good one and one which judders, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I knew there would be something:

Not something I would advocate when there are places like this:

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It's not much to do with the amount of "use" they get. UV light affects them.

Replace them. Wiper blades are dirt cheap.

Reply to
Adrian

^^^^This. We have two cars. Mine does 16-18k a year, a depressing amount of it using wipers. SWMBO's does probably under a thousand, and her wiper blades need replacing about half as often as mine, despite them being obviously rarely used by comparison.

I can recommend

if you do replace.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Some blades - definitely Valeo, probably others - have a little sticker on one blade. Peel the cover off when you fit 'em, and when it changes colour, it's time to replace them. I've seen people say "oooh, WAAAAAY too often, just a money-making scam" - but the last set I had with the dot, it was bang on the money. When it changed colour, they were definitely going off.

Reply to
Adrian

Going slightly OT ... I had 4 motorcycle inlet manifold carb connector tubes that were rubber and supposed to be 'rubbery' but had gone hard. A mate had a container of something pretty nasty he dipped them in for a few seconds and they came out all rubbery again. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Thinners will do that or gunk hydro seal, but it is only temporary. I used to sell loads of those inlet rubbers for Suzukis. Cars rarely have them, but polos with carbs did, and they split, old porsches too.

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

I first saw this on genuine Ford blades about 15 years ago. I also thought it a scam, but agree that it worked out about right.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I'm pretty sure it was none of those things as he was very careful when lifting the lid off the container and not touching the liquid when dunking the tubes (he threaded them on a wire to do it then washed them in the sink straight afterwards). It may have been a liquid with another liquid floating on the top to keep the stuff underneath 'covered'?

I've not checked them lately to see if they are still flexible and this was a good few years ago now. ;-)

This was an old Kwaka GPZ550.

Sounds about right.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Loudspeaker people - faced with the rubber surround to the cone going hard

- swear by brake fluid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hydro-seal (or something like that), 4 gallon steel container with a steel lid, liquid on top to keep the nasty stuff hidden and safe, the stuff underneath is seriously bad for breathing, eyes etc. I used to know what the chemical was and had some many years ago when dismantling engines was common, it was as good as blast cleaning on pistons, con rods etc. also useful to expand cush drive rubbers for sprocket carriers. I don't remember getting rid of it, so it may stll be hidden away somewhere.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yup, that sounds like the stuff then.

Ah, yes.

Have you checked in your (suitably marked and locked) 'chemical store' MrC? .

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It's amazing how many people don't realise that there often are 'special lubricants' (and treatments) and 'solvents' for most things.

Like, how many grab the WD40 instead of a 'proper' lubricant or penetrating oil.

I have most lubes for most things (ooooh missus ) including Red Rubber grease and I think I have something for cataput rubbers. Now, the latter could easily be brake fluid in a fancy can ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I used some very waterproof grease, designed for prop shafts and steering tubes, on the washing machine I got off Freecycle 7 years ago. From the factory the bearings lasted 13 months. After I rebuilt it (using said grease) it lasted a further 7.5 years and we only just had to replace it because the steel drum had sheared off it's mount. ;-( (I used sealed bearings but removed the seals facing each other and half filled the void in between with said grease). No chance of the bearings becoming starved of lube and a pinhole halfway up the bearing casing ensured any water that did get in there ran off. ;-)

Reply to
T i m

I shall do that if I ever replace my wm bearings again. they tend to last 5 years or so at present and the machine is now over twenty, so if anything major goes the machine will be replaced.

Reply to
Mrcheerful