Solution for rusted tailpipes?

Hello all, On my backbox there are two long thin pipes which go into two wider chrome tailpipes which protrude from the bumper. My problem is, the bit of wider pipe the chrome pipes are fitted to has rusted through. The backbox itself is good as are the thin pipes. One of the tailpipes has fallen off and the other will soon plus it sounds blowy on acceleration and grunty on deceleration.

What can I do to replace them at a reasonable price? Car is 1993 Rover

800 Vitesse.

I don't want anything that's going to sound like blowing through a straw, nor do I want something the boy racers put on that make their novas fart as they go along, just a nice set of tailpipes which retain a good grunting sound that doesn't fart nor sound heartless, just the usual good solid grunt expected to keep them pissing their pants and me sure there's no leaks anywhere.

Thanks Paul

Reply to
P Latham

The message from P Latham contains these words:

Have you looked to see how much the original part is?

Reply to
Guy King

The tailpipes themselves have little to do with noise in fact the reason they are screwed will be due to water getting trapped between the pipe and the chrome trim.

Cut them off and weld a suitable sized pipe on - easy.

Reply to
Doug

Sorry, is the above referring to a Rover 800?

Reply to
DervMan

Still think it will out accelerate a 1300cc pushrod designed in the 60's for an Anglia !!!! Sorry.

JK

Reply to
JK

That wasn't what I was getting at, but now that you come to mention it, it's merely quicker to the next petrol station. :)

Reply to
DervMan