Suggestions / Theories wanted - engine running rough intermittently

Hi All,

Can anyone suggest a reason why my car would be running rough when cruising at a constant speed - but be perfect when under acceleration or at idle ?

I've already changed the air filter, replaced spark plugs & leads and used 2 tanks of fuel with injector cleaner additives (nulon & flashlube)

Car is multi-point injected & has electronic ignition (1998 1.5L Proton Satria GL - 80,000 kilometeres on the clock - yes quite low !)

I would have thought that if it was the injectors or the fuel filter that performance during acceleration would be awful - but its not - its great.

The "chugging" symptom occurs when cruising at a constant speed at revs of anywhere between 2,000 - 4,000 rpm.

Its hardly noticeable when crusing on a downhill road/slope (ie. engine doing almost no work) but when on a flat road or a road with incline, the fault is fairly repeatable / consistent when travelling at constant speed. (45 kph in second gear, 65 kph in 3rd gear, 85 kph in 4th gear etc.)

Any ideas anyone ???

Thanx. Cheers Steve. M.

Reply to
Steve Michie

Usually a dodgy EGR valve.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Put a match to it.

Dr. Bizarro

Reply to
Dr. Bizarro

Reply to
mark powell

Reply to
mark powell

Reply to
mark powell

Reply to
mark powell

Reply to
mark powell

"mark powell" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h40g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

FFS, use a news reader not google !!!

Reply to
Tunku

Sweet - thanx for the tip

I did some research - symptoms of EGR issues may include "engine light on" and "hesitation" (poor response when trying to accelerate) - I dont have either of these two symptoms, but might try a few tests along the EGR route to see what effect if any I can create.

Thanx !! :-D

Reply to
Steve Michie

Cheers - yep - o2 sensor issues/symptoms do indeed include "chugging" - will look into this area also.

Thanx.

Reply to
Steve Michie

For anyone thats interested - I took the car to the mechanics - the problem turned out to be a dirty / loose connection on the throttle position sensor.

I was happy with the repair bill (AUS $140) - and the problem is 100% solved - sweeeeeeeeet.

Thanx all.

Reply to
Steve Michie