Suzuki 4x4 LED Brake Light

It's not my car (thank god, stupid 4x4 shiny playwagon POS), but does anyone know where to get the long thin red LED brake light strip that fits into the "spoiler" on the back of one of these things?

Someone I know's got one that looks to have burnt out half a dozen of the LEDs, with another 2 having popped right off the PCB. The dealership say they don't sell them, and much though it's not to my taste, he really cherishes this thing, so wants all the bits to work as they should.

And no, soldering in new LEDs isn't an option, as he's not got enough cash to pay someone, and I'm dangerous with a soldering iron!

Reply to
Stuffed

Firstly, if you can solder in new LEDs that will be the cheapest option.

If you can't it may even be a new spoiler. Do you know if it is a genuine spoiler or aftermarket? You will need to identify that before you can identify a source.

Alan

Reply to
Alan

It needs at least 12 I think, out of about 22 in total, or thereabouts. And my soldering skills are the kiss of death on anything electrical! I'm pleased enough with myself at diagnosing the fault and probable cause, but I'm not about to go and ruin that by overstepping my skills ;)

AFAIK, it's a genuine factory option, the owner has seen at least one other of these things locally with the same spoiler. It was on when he got the car, and is perfectly matched paintwork wise. However, the local dealership has said the brake light is unavailable, but that might be them being useless (wouldn't be a surprise around here). I can't quite fathom why a fairly recent fashionwagon would have such hard to find parts, and going from what I've been told, the other ones around here with the spoilers have LEDs either part or not working too, so Suzuki are missing a trick not flogging these as spares.

Another question - Apparently the engine light comes on from time to time, yet there's no loss of power or any other signs of something amiss - The various garages it's been to haven't been able to find fault, but from what the owner's said, they haven't plugged a fault code reader in either - Is it possible to check for an error without a reader on these things? Anything non BL, and later than 1990 is a mystery to me, but I might get a pint if I can look knowledgeable to this chap :)

Reply to
Stuffed

I don't know anyhting about Suzukis but I cannot see how they could check for a fault without plugging a diagnostic reader of some sort in.

Alan

Reply to
Alan