Synthetic Enamel - polishing / sanding?

I know a few on here have a bit of a clue about paint. As I understand it, Synthetic Enamel

- look for Farmline) can't be polished after it's dried. This is a bit of a problem as I need to be able to de-nib and sand out any runs after - is there a quick bodge method to get a shine back (spray thinners on?) or do I need to respray areas that I've had to sand? No, it's not for a car...

Reply to
Doki

Looks like it's an oil paint rather similar to the stuff you paint a house with and that can't be sanded then buffed either.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Buggerance. I'd better make the shed *very* clean then.

Reply to
Doki

Synthetic Linseed oil based or Polyurethane paint finishes CANNOT be polished mechanically using abrasive compounds, but they can be waxed.

Alkyds CAN be polished mechanically but ONLY after six months or so when the surface has become sufficiently hard to accept rubbing compounds.

Unlike cellulose, Arylic or twin-pack paints that do not form a skin when dry, Synthetic paint does particularly linseed oil based paint. Polishing synthetic linseed oil paint finishes can only be done successfully by using special polishing components and oils.

The Farmline product is an Alkyd resin base so it may be possible to flat and polish in a similar way, but with exercising more care.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Cheers Steve. Hoped you were about as you seem to know everything about this sort of stuff. It is quite funny stuff to work with compared to car paints. Do you know if there's any chance of speeding up the hardening process by shoving it in a greenhouse (it being a tractor)? I also need to paint the underside of it as well as the top, but if it doesn't harden fully for 6 months, that's a bit difficult as I don't want to paint the wheels etc. then have them painted onto the hubs when I try and get them off, and I can't really put it on axle stands with soft paint either. I've also heard that there can be problems putting on a second coat - are there time limitations?

Reply to
Doki
[snip]

Alkyd resin as opposed to linseed oil does actually dry very fast which is why you have to add a reducer to slow it down especially for quality coach work.

It may be possible to lightly flat and polish after a week though seeing as the Farmline paint is also urethane based. See what it is like after a couple of days and try wet flatting and polishing in an inconspicuous area.

You can add extra driers to speed up the dring process but a good tip is to leave the Tractor in the sun for a few days, it will help harden the paint finish similar to car oven baking.

You can paint over the top of Farmline paint overnight at normal room temperatures which are easily achieved at this time of year.

However without the correct working environment you may still find it difficult to produce a clean paint job, so you might have to start all over again but by then you'll know when it can be flatted.

As a rule of thumb, lightly press your fingernail into the dried paint film and if it is still soft you cannot paint over the top until your fingernail leaves almost no impression.

If you paint over too soon the paint will wrinkle as it dries, this is caused be the outer layer drying before the inner layer has had time to fully dry, so the outer layer shrinks whilst as the inner layer continues to dry.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull