35.97 mpg...

Back when I could still buy real gasoline in neighboring counties, I watched my mileage bounce between 27 and 30 depending on where I filled up. This was consistent over years. Looks a lot like 10% to me. I don't care what Big Agriculture tells you, I have personal experience. 10% ethanol = 10% power loss/mileage reduction...looks pretty inert from where I stand. A total crock.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I always wondered what kind of fuel mileage a car designed to run on ethanol can get. Seems there is a south american country or two that uses domestic ethanol/alcohol? instead of gas. Supposedly, there was also a flexfuel ULEV version of the Miata that was sold in limited quantities in a few US locations. California maybe? All I remember about using alcohol in gas was that it collected moisture, and also lowered the combustion temperature. In the early 1960's, an Olds F-85 "sport" model with a V6 had an alcohol/water injection system to do just that.

Reply to
Chuck

I believe the scientific term is either "energy density" or "specifi energy" I forget which and I'm too tired to go look it up.

In a nutshell, a gallon of alcohol has about 30% less energy content than a gallon of gasoline. E10 being 10% alcohol, a full fuel tank of E10 will contain 3% less energy than 100% gasoline. (If Big Agro has ever claimed improved mileage I'd like to see that ad.)

On the other hand alcohol has lower emissions, absorbs the moisture in your tank, and cleans the lines. In many cases people can make up that

3% by being meticulous with their tire pressures.

cheers

Don

Reply to
Don Q

Not when you include all the diesel fuel burned to produce and transport it. It's a net loss for both emissions and energy efficiency. It's a gigantic boondoggle, nothing more.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

And gasoline is produced and transported at zero cost and emissions? C'mon! You should check out the emission figures for those huge oil tankers plying the oceans. Seriously.

I agree about the boondoggle but let's not blame alcohol itself, it's the subsidies, the greed, the politicians that can be bought...

I like E10, I don't think food crops should be diverted to ethanol production.

Reply to
Don Q

I'll sacrifice my brussels sprouts...

Reply to
XS11E

i have certainly heard arguments that defy the assertions of corn ethanol being green. and a quick google search coughs up lots of reputable articles that say the same. here's just one from t a well known source...

Christopher Muto

Corn is best used for moonshine!

Reply to
XS11E

Well, that and tortillas.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Tortilla chips go well with moonshine.

Reply to
XS11E

but driving does not ;)

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Depends on whether you're drinkin' it or runnin' it.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Sure it does, drink enough moonshine and you won't be scared of the traffic, the traffic will be scared of you!

Reply to
XS11E

By observation, the E10 blend has lower mileage than the same brand and grade of gasoline. As to the exact reduction--?? 10% seems ballpark. A "flex fuel" car may have different results. A "normal" cars computer is tuned to some agreed upon fuel. When the fuel is changed, the computer has little or no knowledge, and adjusts as if the fuel was what it was programmed for. We had a 96 Chevy Impala a car or so ago. It required a computer program change to run properly with E15, and ideally, even with E10. (Not to mention replacing some parts not designed for E15, that just tolerated E10.)

Reply to
Chuck