Mounting DIN head unit in '03

I'd like to replace my stock CD-player with a new head-unit that does MP3, has an AUX intput, and can control a remote CD-changer.

Assuming it'll be a single DIN unit, what do people recommend for mounting?

Put the new HU in top or bottom of the opening?

What to do with the rest of the "hole"? Blank plate? Cubby-hole? CD-caddy (e.g. Serious Auto)? Maybe some after-market gauges and/or a clock?

Reply to
Grant Edwards

When we put the FT-100D amateur radio head into the Rollerskate, it was to go at the top for ease in reading the HF frequency, so the CD/radio unit ended up at the bottom. The bottom is a very good position for it as it's child's play to operate the controls without really looking at it. The ON-OFF knob lines up with the handle of the emergency brake beautifully, steadying one's hand in the course of operating the various knobs and buttons.

Here's the setup.

SO made an aluminum panel to hold the cradle for the FT-100D's removablecontrol head.

I vote for bottom. YMMV.

Reply to
Nora

It sure seemed to me that clock/gauges on top, stereo on the bottom is the way to go, but I didn't know if there were any gotchas or not with that arrangement.

Exactly. On the 96 SSP (or whatever the double din unit was called), you could rest the heel of your hand on the brake handle and reach all the contols without ever having to look down.

Looks pretty good. Is 2m still the band of choice for in-car use?

Thanks for the input!

Reply to
Grant Edwards