Tell me it ain't so (part deux)

Well I've run several tanks of non-Shell gas followed by a tank of Shell gas as suggested and the results while not scientific are clear. I'm getting about 1 MPG better gas mileage with Shell gas. Here are the results of the four most recent tank fulls.

Gas Mileage Shell 30.5 other 29.1 other 29.2 Shell 30.6

The other brand was a top brand here in California, so I can only imagine that the improvement with Shell would be even greater when compared to discount gasoline. Given that gas prices here in California have climbed past the $2 per gallon range, I'm calling off the test and sticking with Shell.

Gus (91 BRG)

Reply to
Gus

I hope this was not a single-blind experiment.

Leon ;)

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I would like to have done a double blind experiment, but that would have involved having someone else fill up my car without me knowing which gasoline was put into the tank each time. My wife thinks I'm crazy enough with out me asking her to fill up my car so I don't know what brand of gasoline is in the tank. I will agree that this is not a perfect experiment and that I might have driven differently "knowing" that it was not Shell gas. However, all four tanks were almost all exclusively freeway driving to and from work under similar conditions (e.g., dodging the other cars on the

405). At the very least, the results do not contradict Shell's claim of a 1% increase in fuel efficiency.

Gus (91 BRG)

Reply to
Gus

Couldn't this be a self-fulfilling prophecy...?

Steven

- - -

Reply to
Steven Spits