Fuel Pressure Regulator 1991 Mazda B2600 question

Symptoms: Starved for fuel. Lots of hesitation at 50± m.p.h. Equal hesitation on slight upgrade at 25 m.p.h. Replaced high pressure fuel filter. (Low pressure filter inside fuel tank).

Went through the diagnostics (have factory manual) and passed all six fuel pump tests. Book instructions are pretty clear.

HOWEVER, the fuel pressure regulator test reads: "Observe fuel pressure for 5 minutes. Fuel Pressure: More than 21 psi. If as specified, replace the pressure regulator"

After 5 minutes I still get a reading of 33 psi (drop from an initial reading of 40 psi).

Do I replace the regulator. The language is almost contrary. All of the previous tests read "If NOT as specified, etc." This one reads "If as specified"

Any help appreciated. I am kind of reluctant to buy a regulator (golf gall sized, cost $140) if it is not at fault. At the same time, I don't want to pull the fuel tank and replace the "in tank" filter unless that is the cause. Stymied.

All help and comments appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary