Cooling Fan Melted -- Why? ('92 Mazda 626)

I have repeatedly melted the cooling fan on my '92 Mazda 626 even though the cooling system seems to be working correctly otherwise. (Temperature guage stays in appropriate range. Fan cuts in and out at apparently appropriate times. etc.) Obviously the fan is getting hotter than it is expected and designed to get, but I don't understand how that is possible.

Any help?

Hamish

Reply to
Hamish WAUGH

How/Where is it melting?

Is it the center hub or the frame holding the fan, etc?

Could be a short circuit somehow putting too much power into the fan.

May a loose wire/hose is falling into the blade, jamming it a burning up the motor?

Reply to
Noozer

First the tips of the blades warp. Then, after I trim a bit off so that they won't hit the cowling, the warp a bit more over the course of a week or two. Then, after a longer time, the nut breaks off the fan, or vice versa, I guess. The fan blades actually have bubble-like depressions in them.

I am considering the possibility that this may be exhaust heat, in one form or another, either radiant or an exhaust gas leak. I did replace an exhaust manifold gasket between the first and second times this happened. The exhaust leak would handily explain the first melting fan, but not the second time, as the exhaust is now quiet and therefore not presumably leaking..

Still, exhaust heat is a source of eng>How/Where is it melting?

Reply to
Hamish WAUGH

Found it. There is a pinhole in the exhaust pipe that blows hot exhaust fumes at the fan. Thanks for input.

Hamish

Reply to
Hamish WAUGH