1997 mercedes S600: questions/steering/oil/etc

Was 1997 a good year for the S600? Does anyone have any personal experiences about this car to share (pros, cons)?

Does the S600 have rack-n-pinion steering or recirculating ball? Do S500 and lower S- and SL-series models for that year all have the same type of steering?

If purchasing an S600 within the 75-100k (maybe up to 120k) miles range what would I look for to be in good shape before buying (that would be otherwise foolish to overlook for fear of an exhorbitantly expensive repair later? And yes, I know basically everything's expensive ro repair/replace on such a car; I'm just seeking to find out the obvious as a prospective buyer of an S600 from 1997. A friend is trying to get me to buy his; still undecided.

What is the recommended oil grade for this car? I heard 0w-40 from Mobiloil.com but is that true? Car would be in the Northeast US.

Reply to
The Derfer

I just recently bought an SL500, 1997. V-8 engine, gobs of power. You do know that the SL600 is a 12 cylinder, right? I'm sure you do, but that said, it's going to be more complex, obviously. Wouldn't expect the same milage out of it as an engine with four less cylinders, etc. But I wouldn't hesitate if the price is right and the car is in good shape. It is one sweet ride, and I understand that the V-12 is a smoooth hombre! Let us know if you get this peach!

Reply to
wolfpuppy