Here is the rub... (The radiator fit OK, and looks great. All fittings, etc were where they were supposed to be, and the whole job was relatively painless, in spite of the unit not fitting the mounting without a little persuasion, and the rubber bushings for the bottom mounts had to be trimmed a bit to fit in the mounting rings on the bottom of the radiator). Today, ambient temp was 65F. My car, on a road trip of 75 miles at 70mph, ran a water temp of 85-90C, and climbed to almost 100C upon climbing a 3% or so grade for several miles. I had the AC on to cool the interior as the sun coming in was heating up my better half above her comfort level. I guess I expected the water temp to be closer to 80C since the ambient temp was cool. Last summer, even on the hottest day, I never saw the water temp at or above

100C, usually staying in the 80-90C range (which I always marvelled at). Oil pressure is 2.2 or so at idle when warm, 3 pegged at cruising rpm.

I am intrested in this groups opinion... Should I have replaced the radiator with a BEHR (with plastic tanks)?

Reply to
RM Smith

"So I decided to change the radiator out NOW and the rest at a later date." Is that to mean no new thermostat?? That would have been a must change for me when I change water pumps and radiators. As long you were there the "thermostat" is often very cheap and simple to do. Me I would've replaced it. Cheap insurance.

Reply to
Brian Floetke

On 2005-03-05 19:37:24 -0800, "RM Smith" said: radiator with a BEHR (with plastic tanks)?

I have to agree with the other gentlemen who suggested you install a new thermostat.

Also, make sure the coolant is properly "full"

Also make sure the aux fan is still connected properly...

Random thoughts, Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Reply to
marlin

I agree but to make sure it's not the radiator why not remove the thermostat completely for a couple of day's driving and see what the temp does. If it still goes into the 100c range then you might have a problem with the new radiator. Believe it or not a lot of these after-market, all-metal radiators are made in Turkey! I replaced mine in our 300D, replaced the thermostat and it definitely ran a little warmer but not enough to cause concern. It has worked fine for nearly a year but did cause me to scratch my head a little at the water temp rise. Good luck!

Reply to
Ernie Sparks

So what, are implying the turkish are incapable of making a proper radiator?

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Not at all. I just found it unusual, sort of like trying to find a decent bottle of wine in Morocco.

Reply to
Ernie Sparks