[SOLVED] Omega immobilizer problem

Car won't start. Button on the key won't operate central locking or turn immobilizer off. Fitted new batteries, still no joy. Anybody know what it could be? T.I.A. Jim.

Reply to
Mitch

This happens pretty often to mine as well. What I do is take the fob apart, wiggle the batteries about and it works. I too kept replacing batteries every five minutes, then discovered that a simply moving them about does the trick.

It must be a design fault on the fob, because I have 2 that do it and also so does my friends.

Hope this helps

Dave

Reply to
Funkyman

I think you'll find the problem is with the small battery contacts. Just alter them slightly so they make a better contact with the batteries. This happened to me a month or so ago. I had replaced the batteries only a few weeks previously.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Franklin

I've needed to re-program my key in the past as well as change the batteries. Can't remember the exact procedure offhand, it's in the manual though ...

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

Cost me £168. £35 to have it taken to the dealership (approx. 1.5 miles), £61 for a "Lab Report" and re-programming, and £41 for a new sender unit that clips on to the original key and the balance being the vat. Jeeeeeeeeezzzzzzz. Jim

Reply to
Mitch

I was told roughly the same at my local VX dealer, why are they so damned expensive. Trouble is, you can't start the car without it. Is there a way of getting the immobiliser to turn off without the key fob? You can get in to the car with the key, you can turn on the ignition, but that's it. Didn't VX consider that the batteries might fail and would leave the owner stranded.

Dave

Reply to
Funkyman

Gosh .. I never had to do that. ISTR something about pressing one of the buttons while the key was in the ignition lock or something. I can't quote from the manual at the mo 'cos the car's having an overnight stay at the menders - the dreaded water-leak-from-the-oil-cooler problem. No way I'm gonna tackle that on my own with 40 year old cheap Japanese tools and no workshop facilities!

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

Yep. Open the car using the key, put the key in the ignition and press the Lock button on the keyfob (I think you have to do this within a short time of unlocking the car). The car will lock, then unlock - it's now reprogrammed.

Works on my '97 Omega, anyhow, which periodically loses the programming for some reason...

Karl

Reply to
Karl

Well there y'go, I knew it was something like that. I won't have to look for me manual now I've got the car home again. Just as well really, I'm still in shock after getting a bill for £787 from the menders .. major service, fix water leak, MOT, fix exhaust so's to pass MOT ... I think I might buy a moped .........

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

The battery in the key has nothing to do with immobilizer. A flashing engine light with the ignition on means that car has not recognised immobilizer in the key. The immobilizer is the small bit of plastic in the key, watch you dont drop it when you change the battery. Put key in the ignition, turn on ignition, press one of the buttons on the key. If the doors lock and unlock the key is set to the car, this will then unlock doors using blipper. If this does not work you need a tech 2 to set the key to the car, it sounds like you need this anyway to get the immob. set.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

So you're telling me they've charged me #170 to re-programme my own key to my own car because their piece of shit technological anti theft device decided not to let me get home in my own car in the pissing rain. Brilliant, absolutely f*****g brilliant. Jim :-(

Reply to
Mitch