124 Hood Ornament

I don't remember replacement of these being so difficult; back in the days of the Beastie Boys when they were getting stolen right and left I recall just sticking an adjustable pliers up there and clamping on, pulling down slightly and rotating a 1/4 turn. Are these different than the 123's? I can't hardly see the damn thing to turn it and there seems to be two slots on each ear - is there a special tool involved? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Dan

Still the same. Sometime you have to squeeze the two tabs inward to get it to slip past the opening. Look up an line up the tabs to the openings.

Reply to
Tiger

It's a complete pain in the ass, isn't it? In fact, I once saw a book of phrase definitions, and the illustration that accom- panied the definition for "pain in the ass" depicted some guy installing a hood ornament on a W124 radiator shell.

No special tool is required, just persistence. I transferred mine over when I replaced my car's grille after hitting a deer. After spending about an hour on it, I said "Screw this" and took it to my mechanic. He said he didn't use any special tools, either, and denied that there was any special trick to it.

(Then I hit another deer two months later, and the car was totalled. Oh, well.)

Geoff

1987 300SDL (278K mi.) 1991 300D 2.5 (RIP)

-- "America is the greatest, freest and most decent society in existence. It is an oasis of goodness in a desert of cynicism and barbarism. This country, once an experiment unique in the world, is now the last best hope for the world." -- Dinesh D'Souza

Reply to
Geoff Miller

Hit an errant horse one very dark and drizzly night.. Kinda trashed the Volvo I was driving.. but was repairable..The horse, wasn't

Making roadkill isn't an easy job...

Reply to
JW46