1991 420SEL died on road, won't start back up

1991 420SEL ­ won¹t start :( 120k miles, excellent shape

Some troubleshooting I¹ve done:

  1. Replaced starter/overload relays
  2. Replaced distributor cap/rotor
  3. Replaced fuel/air filters
  4. Temporarily replaced fuel distributor
  5. Replaced battery
  6. Checked fuses in the engine compartment

It¹s getting gas to through the fuel distributor. The timing chain appears to be in great shape. No check engine light. No oil leaks. All fluid levels good.

I am wondering if someone has a similar situation and can give me some ideas where else to troubleshoot.

Thanks, Ron in Salem

Reply to
RDHoover

Replacing parts is a expensive way of troubleshooting.

-First check if you get a spark at the plug. Be careful while checking the spark, modern systems give a very high voltage!!

-Then check the timing of the ignition.

-If your ignition works as it should and the valves are ok it should be the fuel system.

Reply to
RobP

Thank you, Rob. We fiddled with the timing today to see if it would change anything, but no luck. However, I think you're right, and we will see what else we can do about it. I did read that there is a sensor wire that could be at fault.

Ron in Salem

Reply to
RDHoover
1991 420SEL died on road, won't start back upI think it is fuel pump relay. Check the date stamped on the isde of the unit... it is probably very old.
Reply to
Tiger

Thank you, Tiger. I mistakenly wrote that I had replaced the starter relay, but it was actually the fuel pump relay that I had changed.

Reply to
RDHoover

timing chain due to possible slippage that may be caused by bad tensioner. You need to match the timing mark to the #1 cylinder..

I would also check the distributor... possibly slipped due to loose or missing bolt.

Reply to
Tiger

Some troubleshooting I've done:

1.. Replaced starter/overload relays 2.. Replaced distributor cap/rotor 3.. Replaced fuel/air filters 4.. Temporarily replaced fuel distributor 5.. Replaced battery 6.. Checked fuses in the engine compartment

It's getting gas to through the fuel distributor. The timing chain appears to be in great shape. No check engine light. No oil leaks. All fluid levels good.

I am wondering if someone has a similar situation and can give me some ideas where else to troubleshoot.

Thanks, Ron in Salem

Reply to
john eiguren

Thanks for all the great help. It¹s time for a rebuild, unfortunately.

120k miles and the timing chain slipped. Otherwise, it¹s a great car.

Ron in Salem

Reply to
RDHoover