240D 5 speed conversion

I have a 1980 240D manual 4-spd. I love the car but wish I didn't rev so high at highway speeds. Is there a 5-spd that fits and how difficult is it. I am pretty handy with a wrench.

Reply to
traderkev

People have cobbled together all sorts of 5 speeds to 240s. You can use a Mercedes one (good luck finding it) or adapt, allegedly, a Supra 5 speed wiht a custom bellhousing.

Any old Mercedes 5 speed can be made to work. That's a lot easier than finding one.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

What about the 5 speeds from 190's? One would think that they are basically the same tranny, plus pretty easy to find. Am I wrong on this one?

Herb

1977 W123 200D (Used to be a 220D and used to be red)
Reply to
herbyccna

That's the easiest one to find. And it'll work.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

It won't work because the starter is on the wrong side and it's a completely different box...

Reply to
phat boy slim

Swap the bellhousing. Sombody's done it. You want bolt-up you have to find the original 5 speed for that cat. Rotsa ruck.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

It's got a one piece bellhousing and the input shafts are different...

Reply to
phat boy slim

Got a saw?

Ok so you DON'T want to use that one. Back to fiding a side loader from a 108 or 123. Best of luck!

Reply to
Richard Sexton