85 300d Taillights

I just recently bought an 85 300d I was wondering if it was normal for the taillights (not brake lights) to appear somewhat dim and only light up on only the corners almost behind the turn signal.

Reply to
bill_wheatley

I believe there are two bulbs, a small one for the rear side markers and a dual filament bulb for the (rear) running and brake lights.

One ought to use the correct brake light bulb or the car's cruise control may be adversely affected.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Out of curiosity, TG, what is the effect on the cruise control? Mine tends to be jerky; maybe that's just old technology.

Reply to
coolmale48

Out of curiosity, TG, what is the effect on the cruise control? Mine tends to be jerky; maybe that's just old technology.

Reply to
coolmale48

No, The bulbs are old (replace them), the taillight has soot in it (take it out, apart and clean it) and the taillight plastic is opaque (replace them if you want).

Reply to
Richard Sexton

The circuit is set up for the resistance of a decent bulb, Use a crappy one and neither it nor the cruise will work right.

The choppy cruise is a broken solder joint. Take it out and resolder EVRYTHING on that board and 99% it'll perfect again.

Use German bulbs. The dealer has them and they're cheap.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

The cruise control ground circuit goes thru the stop light bulbs. When you step on the brake, the bulbs light and you lose ground. Cruise shuts off. The cruise control has no other 'instant off' switch. If it has no ground thru the bulbs, it cannot engage. The ground circuit is designed to operate thru the resistance of 2 OSRAM 21w bulbs. US made bulbs have different resistance values, some work some don't. Sometimes only 1 in a box of 10 US bulbs may work!

Reply to
Karl