300SD & 300SDL Questions

Aloha:

Since, it seems clear that my poor 1981 300SD is a lost cause, I'm looking to purchase a 300SD or 300SDL within, hopefully, a few years (Depending on how much I'm able to save, I'm just a college student).

As such, I would like to know what to look for in the old 300SDs and

300SDLs. In particular I'm curious to (In no particular order):

  • Which engine is more reliable/durable? The 5-cylinders or the

6-cylinders?
  • What years (Though I suspect they're all fine and I realize this is very open-ended) are generally viewed to be the high points of each model?
  • What is are the _major_ differences between the 300SDs and 300SDLs and what would persuade someone to go for one over the other?
  • What is the rate of depreciation for these models?
  • Are there any options on the cars I should particularly go after if possible?

I'm only looking for the W126 chassis models from the early to mid

1980s when the construction seems a bit stronger (Though if my assumption is wrong, please let me know!).

Also, some general 300SD/300SDL/W126 questions:

  • What are the headlight wipers for? I have never understood their use.
  • Does anyone know where I can find some good cup holders for the car? My family once had the kind that one would hang onto the door, but they've long since broke and/or disappeared.
  • Just how long can Daimler-Benz diesel engines go with proper care?

Thanks everyone!

-Punani

-- The best way to predict the future is to invent it. -- Alan Kay

Reply to
Punani

Generally, the 5 cylinder engine from the 81-85 SD is considered more durable and reliable. The Six cylinder SDL engine was more powerful, but with an aluminum head, it is more prone to damage if it is overheated.

As the years crept on, more sophisticated features were added, but in my opinion, nothing earth shattering. Perhaps the biggest advance was anti-lock brakes that came with the SDL

SDL had six cylinder engine, longer wheelbase, 15 inch wheels standard, and anti-lock brakes (tho I don't know if the very first SDL's did. The SD had a 5 cylinder all iron engine, 14 inch wheels (15 inch aftermarkets are available).

The SD's are now so depreciated it is not worth worrying over, and the SDL is almost in the same boat.

Condition, mechanical structural, and cosmetic, are more important than options at this point in time.

To wipe snow off?

Probably longer than you will be interested in the car, or its body will hold up.

Ray

300SD 1984
Reply to
R. Makul

Yes, the body on mine will collapse into a pile of rust long before the engine gives out.

1981 300SD "Der Klunker ex-Pimpmobile"
Reply to
Gogarty

Once upon a time, the alternator in my 1983 300SD gave out. I was outside of Harrisburg, PA. I drove to Pittsburgh, fueled the car and stayed overnight in a motel.

Next day, I started the car, fueled up and drove to Chicago, being careful to never turn the engine off and to not use anything electrical; like radio; air; blower; windows. By the time I got home the electrical system was flat. I measured 6.8 volts across the battery.

But I got home! The diesel and transmission didn't need anything electrical, like ignition or fuel pumps to keep going.

Reply to
yooser

The wipers on the headlights, are mandatory equipment (by law) in Sweden, Norway etc. The reason they are there is so you can clear they headlight (often). The wipers only work when your headlights are on. Every time you squirt cleaner on your windshield (head lights on), the headlights would also squirt cleaning fluid and the small wipers would come on.

Up there it's winter at least six to seven months a year. People didn't go out clean their headlights after awhile

Hope this answers your question.

Reply to
Bill G.

Ah, that makes sense. I've lived in Los Angeles my whole life, so there existance here makes limited sense.

-Punani

"Bill G." wrote in news:vX6Xb.4798$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net:

-- C++ : an octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog -- Unknown

Reply to
Punani