Since, it seems clear that my poor 1981 300SD is a lost cause, I'm
looking to purchase a 300SD or 300SDL within, hopefully, a few years
(Depending on how much I'm able to save, I'm just a college student).
As such, I would like to know what to look for in the old 300SDs and
300SDLs. In particular I'm curious to (In no particular order):
* Which engine is more reliable/durable? The 5-cylinders or the
* What years (Though I suspect they're all fine and I realize this is
very open-ended) are generally viewed to be the high points of each
What is are the _major_
differences between the 300SDs and 300SDLs
and what would persuade someone to go for one over the other?
* What is the rate of depreciation for these models?
Are there any options on the cars I should particularly go after if
I'm only looking for the W126 chassis models from the early to mid
1980s when the construction seems a bit stronger (Though if my
assumption is wrong, please let me know!).
Also, some general 300SD/300SDL/W126 questions:
* What are the headlight wipers for? I have never understood their
Does anyone know where I can find some good cup holders for the car?
My family once had the kind that one would hang onto the door, but
they've long since broke and/or disappeared.
* Just how long can Daimler-Benz diesel engines go with proper care?
The best way to predict the future is to invent it. -- Alan Kay