300SD biodiesel conversion

Hi,

Yet another quick question: I got restaurant connections and can get about a million gallons of peanut oil right NOW. I've learnt it is NOT the same as biodiesel fuel AND you have to filter the oil yourself, possibly convert your car.

Diesel being 30 cents more expensive than gas, I'm considering 'burning canola'. Anyone with experience?

Thanks.

Mia

1984 300SD
Reply to
Mia

Try

tell them Bryan sent you.

Bryan

Reply to
Flyingmonk

Bryan,

While the product on GreaseCar site looks wonderful, it costs 800 bucks. Considering the price of these Mercedes diesels, it's a solid chunk of change in comparison to vehicle price AND added maintenance.

I was thinking along the lines of purging my system of diesel, dumping canola into the tank, and driving. Maybe I'd pay a hundred bucks. Not more.

Mia

Reply to
Mia

The only way that you can guarantee the car will start up every single time is to start and shutoff the car with diesel fuel... vege oil tends to thicken and that will plug up your fuel line.

You must use two tank for your reliability purpose. There are cheaper system... just search for SVO conversion.

Reply to
Tiger

Correct me if I'm wrong ... Can you plug up the injectors with chunks of french fries in peanut oil? Because fuel needs to be atomized, is added maintenance (checking & replacing filters more often, inspecting injectors, cleaning banjo, etc) worth using peanut oil at all?

Reply to
Mia

inspecting

Hi Mia,

I haven't ventured into this yet, but would you be interested in adding the filtered veggie oil to a tank of diesel? I haven't gone to the trouble of looking for an oil supply and I'm not interested in fiddling with my car to do the Greasecar/Greasle thing, but I might be inclined to strain and dump some oil into a tank of diesel fuel.

Does anyone know how much oil you could get away with? 20%? 40%? (and still have your car start!)

Thanks,

Tim Delaney '84 300SD

217,000 km
Reply to
tsdelaney

Interesting idea ... I still don't understand how you can manually refine canola so well that it doesn't plug up your system.

Reply to
Mia

Heat and time so all sediments goes to bottom of the barrel. Then you draw the top of the oil and filter it further before it get to the car. The gravity filter they used to clean the oil traps 5 micron particles... takes a while to filter the oil along with black barrel so heat builds up in daytime.

Reply to
Tiger

My 300d (in need of a severe tune up) starts right up in a mixture of almost all canola oil.

cp

Reply to
cp

"My 300d (in need of a severe tune up) starts right up in a mixture of almost all canola oil."

Which ain't saying much, cause there's a big difference between it starting in Florida as opposed to upstate NY in January.

Reply to
trader4

Here in BC it's warm as well but that's beside the point; looks like the lady was worried whether her car would start on pure cooking oil.

cp

Reply to
cp

Actually, he's making a very legit point. In a cold climate like Edmonton or calgary, or god forbid, Medicine Hat, your car won't start in the winter, without more elaborate systems.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

"Actually, he's making a very legit point. In a cold climate like Edmonton or calgary, or god forbid, Medicine Hat, your car won't start in the winter, without more elaborate systems. "

Yes, and if CP doesn't know about that, one can only wonder how much, if anything, he really knows about using vegetable oil in a diesel.

Reply to
trader4

There is a ton of information out there to help you convert your diesel to run on waste vegetable oil. It is not a conversion to be done lightly however as there are variables that need to be taken into account.

If you live in a very warm climate, it is possible to run without diesel at all and just start your car at any time, but most people need some sort of two-tank system in order to start (and shut down) on regular diesel, get the car up to operating temperature, then switch to WVO and then purge the engine of WVO before shutting off. It sounds more complicated than it is. One of the best information sites on the Web is frybrid.com. This guy who runs it has designed two-tank systems for a variety of cars and has installed tons of them. He is so busy with doing that that he hardly does regular servce anymore, that's how popular the concept is and how well it works (and how tested it is).

You should also check out biodieselnow.com

For those of you concerned about the cost at Greasel (or frybrid for that matter) think of it this way, for an investment of $1000, and a bit of time, you get the advantage of free fuel and you help the environment. This is the SOLE reason I just purchased an 84 300 d turbo diesel.

Reply to
Axis

CP lives in a mild climate, so it's really not an issue for him.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

calgary, or god forbid, Medicine Hat, your car

yeh, I had to reread the thread...

:-)

Reply to
cp

I know very well, I just should have read the thread closer. Anyways, using unburned cooking oil is not a good idea in the long run, best to get used stuff and filter it. Or do the transesterification and turn it into biodiesel.

The following book explains everything, I recommend it:

Also, if you buy it through the above link I'll make 27 cents! yay!

cp

Reply to
cp

Hey, that's alright - another month and we won't have to worry about frost in sunny NS.

Thanks for the comment, cp!

Tim

Reply to
tsdelaney

What is it in veggie oil that can possibly plug up a system, unless it is taken straight from the deep fryer and dumped in the fuel tank? I know people who simply filter the cooking oil and dump it in the tank. Some mix it 50/50 with ordinary diesel and some are now running on straight veggie oil. I do know that some people have had to replace some of the fuel lines, especially the flexible "bubble" return line hose on the driver's side of the 300D. Other than that I simply don't see how pure canola oil would plug anything. Maybe checking viscosity with a good meter would tell you if you needed some additives to thin the oil to a more reasonable viscosity. Veggie oils can be considerably "heavier" than ordinary diesel fuel. BTW did you know you can "stretch" a tank of diesel in emergency situations with regular gasoline? Don't mix more than 50/50 and avoid driving more than

100 miles or so. Have done it myself with virtually no negative results. Simply filled the tank with diesel when I reached a station with diesel fuel.
Reply to
Ernie Sparks

Yes, and I can't tell you how thrilled I am that some people want to occupy those frigid territories. I'm from Ohio......and stayin' that way!

Reply to
Ernie Sparks