'96 C280 Charging Problem

HI there,

I just took my '96 C280 for a battery check due to the hot engine starting problem, and found that the charging rate is only about 13.2V instead of 14V. I'd like to know shall I replace the battery or do I need to replace the alternator?? Can I send the car to a garage to fix the alternator only?? When the alternator is replaced/ fixed, will the 'hot engine' starting problem solved accordingly??

Any opinions or ideas will be much appreciated.

Thanks and Regards, Joe.

Reply to
Joe

Don't understand the relationship between delayed hot start and the alternator's charging rate.

If there's a problem with the alternator it's voltage regulator can be replaced; the whole alternator probably doesn't need to be replaced.

If the battery is 3 + years old it is suspect and probably ought to be replaced before anything is done to the alternator.

Delayed hot start can often be overcome by lightly pressing the accelerator while the engine cranks - assuming the engine is in reasonable tune.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I agree with the above comments. Measured at the alternator (or battery) , no significant electrical load and an engine speed of about 2000 RPM the output for a modern "maintenance free" battery should be between 14.3 - 14.7 volts, therefore the regular is suspect and the battery will not be anywhere near full charge at 13.2 volts.

Reply to
Joe Bagnara