Re: Earlier Posting Mondeo Battery

Just a message for all the people (including battery sellers) who say that Fords insistence on the use of a Silver/Calcium battery on the later Mondeos is a load of bollocks.

I have just proved that it is imperative to use a Silver/Ca battery on later Mondeos.

I had a spasmodic battery warning light come up on Friday.Took it to my local garage who tested the charging. Charging was ok. As it was the original battery, (5 years old and red dot showing) assumed it was the battery. Took it to local Tyre & Battery emporium and asked them to fit the correct battery for the make & year of car. They fitted a normal lead acid type. I went home and read the instructions for re programming radio etc and read that Ford say under no circumstances should any other battery but a silver/calcium battery be used. Phone the supplier and he assured me the Ford instruction was a load of bollocks and I would be OK.

Next day drove to Brum via M5 (25miles) and on the way back the warning light kept coming on a regular intervals.

Went to my local Bosch Dealer and got the correct battery (silver/ calcium) fitted. All OK. Took the previous battery back to the supplier who still maintained it is a load of bollocks but gave me my money back.

Just done a Worcester/London/Worcester run on the Silver/Calcium battery and not a peep out of the battery warning light.

Bosch dealer said it was all to do with the Smart Charging System that Ford use. It charges at a higher rate than normal and has a more sophisticated feed back from parameters such as battery condition, temperature etc etc

It expects to see a Slver/Calcium Battery and if it dont get one it throws a wobbly.

Reply to
Merryterry

We fitted standard batteries in place of the Calcium batteries for years at work, but that was after much argument between ford and a couple different battery companies. The bottom line was the SCS system charges the battery at a slightly higher voltage periodically, but the voltage was still within the range of a standard lead acid battery. The only downside was the possibility of having to top-up the electrolyte level periodically.

In practise, we only occasionally had to top up batteries, and the batteries didn't have any shorter a life than the original batteries.

The SCS system uses parameters that even the ford training guys didn't know about. By taking the intake air temperature, coolant temp, and battery voltage, the ECU somehow calculates the battery electrolyte temperature, and adjusts the charging rate accordingly (the alternator only has two charging rates). Nobody could quite understand how the ECU could calculate the battery temp, without actually measuring it, and I'm sure the whole process involved a bit black magic.

Also, I've never seen a faulty battery cause the battery warning light to come on. It's usually caused by an alternator that is starting to die (mondeo alternators had a habit of putting the light on intermittently a couple weeks before then failing completely), or faulty wiring (wires chaffing through on the conduit is a common issue on recent fords)

Reply to
moray

Yup. It's a load of bollocks from Ford. That slightly higher voltage is as nothing compared to what an old dynamo with mechanical regulator could do. Lead acid batteries are very tolerant - provided you realise they may need topping up under those conditions.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not too many batteries have that option nowadays though...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Well how do you explain the fact that with the previous obviously failed battery (red dot showing)( battery tested some while ago said 'one cell down') and the replacement lead acid battery replacement the warning light was coming on spuriosly for both and, is if by magic, with the new Silver/Calcium battery not a hint of warning since fitting 300 odd miles yesterday?

Reply to
Merryterry

Most of the ones I've come across can be topped up - but you may well have to peel off a label to get to the filler caps.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Luck/coincidence. I'd be looking for alternator failure shortly. I'd also like to know how the dealer decided there was a failed cell.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He put an electronic tester on the battery and it was only give out around 10volts. (14 volts in)

Reply to
Merryterry

As could a battery that is simply low in charge. You really need to do a high current test. Electronic devices which do this via a pulse are available but expensive. Or there is the older resistance device.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It was a Ford Main Dealer (Oh my Gawd I hear you say) He used an expensive looking hand held electronic thingy that gave several sorts of readings. By the way, not a peep out of the warning light now the Silver/Calcium battery is in. Thats about 600 miles since the swap.

Reply to
Merryterry