98 E320 Climate Control Fan

I have an E320 whose climate control fan no longer reaches its maximum speed. Where is this fan located? Is it under the dash or in the engine compartment?

Thanks.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Dubosky

It is most likely not to be the fan motor... my mom had the same problem... they changed out something else... I forget what...

Reply to
Tiger

Very helpful...

Sorry, couldn't resist, just kidding.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

I realize that it may not be the fan motor itself since (as I understand from previous posts) its speed is changed by an electronic circuit which receives changing voltages from the dash unit in order to change the speed. However, it is also my understanding from previous posts that this electronic circuit is mounted on a heat sink that is in close proximity to the motor.

Therefore, my question still remains ---- where is the fan motor located?

Reply to
Dan Dubosky

Thanks, Al. Your information helped a great deal. I actually found the blower before I read your message, and was looking at this group to post the location when I saw your response. The link provides me with a possible solution and confirms what I suspect is the problem.

After I get the part, I'll post the results.

Dan

Might help

Reply to
Dan Dubosky

Well, I didn't go the route that was suggested by the link that Al provided. I discovered on car-part.com that a 1998 Heater Motor for a Mercedes E-class was available at a recycle shop near me. I went to see it this morning and discovered that it was a new type regulator and new motor of the type which now replaces the old type that I have. The manufacturing date on the regulator was April of 2002. The previous owner obviously had the both parts replaced. I bought both of them along with the bottom panel (which is necessary since the new wires have a projection that prohibits use of the old panel). It cost me a little more than the regulator by itself would have cost from the AZ parts store, but now I also have a newer motor and I didn't have to unsolder and resolder those heavy wire connections. I probably would have cooked the power transistor in the new regulator.

The project was a success. I now have full fan power. Thanks to all for your help.

> Might help

Reply to
Dan Dubosky