98 E320 AWD, steering wheel vibrate/shaking at 60 mph

This E320 was my wife car, I took it over last week. I mounted 2 Firestone all season tires on the front and 2 Firestone snow tires on the back wheels.

The steering wheel is shaking a little bit when speed reaches over 60-70 mph range. I do have 1 pair all season tires with rim ready to replace them. All tires are almost like new condition.

Just wonder what is going on and how to address this shaking problem. Does car garage have special tools to diagnostic this type high-speed vibrate issue?

Thanks for the help,

Reply to
MacRules

Probably threw a wheel weight and one of your front tires is out of balance. In my e430 if I feel it in the wheel it's out of balance in the front, if I feel it in my butt it's out of balance in the rear.

Reply to
me

This E320 was my wife car, I took it over last week. I mounted 2 Firestone all season tires on the front and 2 Firestone snow tires on the back wheels.

The steering wheel is shaking a little bit when speed reaches over 60-70 mph range. I do have 1 pair all season tires with rim ready to replace them. All tires are almost like new condition.

Just wonder what is going on and how to address this shaking problem. Does car garage have special tools to diagnostic this type high-speed vibrate issue?

Thanks for the help,

Reply to
MacRules

Balance all the wheels and tires!

Reply to
Karl

I agree with Karl, the wheel is not balanced or went out of balance. I see that you got the 4 Matic version. I strongly recommends you install all 4 tires of the same... meaning all 4 snow tires or 4 all season but not mixed. It makes a world of difference.

If for some reason your tire shop balanced it and it is still vibrating... then it is the tire balancer that they are using is bad. I know this because I have personal experience with tire balancers and we had one that keep saying it is balanced until we bought a new machine and everything is solved. We had factory tech come and repair the unit, but still faulty... that's why we bought a new machine instead.

Reply to
Tiger

One think I would add is to make sure that the shop also inspects for wheels that are bent. If you have a real nimwit who doesn't care or pay attention, they can bend your rims with those powerful tire machines, which may have happened. I recently discovered that another one of my rims had been bent somehow, and I suspect a careless tire man. It took a while to figure out which wheel was hopping and it made my steering wheel shake. We put the spare on that rim and now I have four straight ones on the car and it runs smoothly again.

It can be difficult to find a shop that responsibly balances tires. I have finally found a small shop where I have come to know the owner, and he either does the balancing himself on my tires or closely supervises the worker who does it. The last time they were working on my tires I saw the owner make the worker remove all the weights on one rim and start over.

I have had terrible luck with Costco tire centers. I would avoid them.

I try to only get tire work done at shops which also align front ends, which Costco does not do, so they will send you out the door with your toe-in off so you will ruin a new set of tires in 2000 miles, which will not be covered by warranty because damage due to bad alignment is not covered. I have also not had good luck with the Mercedes dealer in Las Vegas aligning the front end. When I lived in Seattle the tire place on the corner near my house did an excellent job of wheel alignment on my car and I have a small shop near where I live in California now that also does a good job. This guy does not use a "computer," he measures with bubble levels and a big caliper and gets the front end in my 1982 300 TDT spot on.

Paul Fretheim

Reply to
heav

check your tire pressure, the steering is very sensitive and one tire a few pounds off will cause the vibrations as speed __________________________________________ Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Reply to
jdoe

Well I sort of trust the shop I use here. Maybe it is good idea give some business to other ones.

I do not want to spend more money to get all 4 matched tires. Let me try double check the front pairs fist.

Thanks for all the help here,

Happy holidays,

Reply to
MacRules