Aux water pump for 1980 300SD

Does anyone have any advice on where to get a good aux water pump for a

1980 300SD? This is the little electric booster pump that sits next to the climate control servo.

I've been through 3 of them from Adsit Company and they are pure crap. Fortunately, they kept replacing them under warranty, but even then, I think all 3 only lasted less than a year. They all had small slow leaks around the shaft right out of the box. The last one, I decided to just live with it. Then driving along one fine day I heard the most horribly squealing from under the hood, like the squirrels were all fighting with each other. Turns out the bearing on the shaft had completely failed and it was just spinning around and flopping all over.

The Adsit ones were no name cheapo ones for about $90. I see Bosch makes one two, which I assume would be better, but thought I'd ask if anyone has any other info.

Thanks Chet

Reply to
trader4

I own the same model and have replaced a few of these pumps. The salvage yard pumps are a bit cheaper and leak a bit but work. All leak at their shaft seal and eventually the motor shorts out and the CC is dead. Disconnect the pump and replace two fuses and CC works again.

I drove for many months with the aux. pump disconnected and didn't notice any difference in the heater's performance - it started running about the same driving distance after cold start as always. The pump only runs in a relatively narrow temperature range, not continually.

You may try that and replace the pump with a piece of pipe if the heat output is satisfactory.

That's what I intend to do this week when I install a digital replacement servo & amplifier ($699, sold by Performance Products). That and no pump should hopefully bring the original Rube Goldberg CC system in this car up to modern standards.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Before you spend that money... get a aux pump that is supposed to be used on other vehicle and hook up the wire... after all, it is only a pump.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks for the advice. I don't think it's worth it to try to find a salvage one. The time spent trying to find one vs the chance it would actually last, etc just aren't worth it. I'm either going to go with the Bosch one for $140 or else bypass it. I agree with TG, that it doesn't seem to make much diff having it in there. I think the biggest diff would be for situations where you started the car when it was real cold and left it idling instead of driving off soon. In that case, you might get heat noticeably faster, but otherwise it doesn't seem to make too much diff.

TG, let us know how you make out with that digital replacement for the glockenspiel gizmo! I have the rebuilt aluminum one with the fix it forever for $100 guarantee. It's about 18 months now and works great so far.

Reply to
trader4