Tire Recommendation for 1980 300SD?

Looking to replace my tires and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations from personal experience with the 300SD or other large mercedes sedans. I was using Pirelli P4000 Special Touring and was pretty satisfied with them, however they are no longer made in 14 inch. Looking for a good handling/responsive all around tire, with good wet traction and at least acceptable snow performance.

TIA

Reply to
Chet Hayes

I've owned my '80 300SD since new and have found 205/70-14 to be the best size for this car. The original 185-14s were awful, then I tried

195/70-14 and found them to be too small so I went to the 205/70s and am very satisfied. The last set was Michelin but they're no longer making the ones I have so I can't help you on the brand and type, only the size.

Tom

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Tirerack.com and Tires.com recommends 205/70R14 to replace your original

185R14.

Based on what I see for your options in all season... I see that Yokohama Avid Touring has a treadwear rating of 620... every 100 is 15,000 miles... so this means Avid Touring might last you nearly 90,000 miles!

Since you said heavy car, I suspect it probably will last you 60,000 miles...

They are all about the same performance. I suggest you do research on these tires at both website for customer feedbacks.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks for the replies. I have 205/70's on the car now and that is what I intend to stay with, so size wasn't my issue. I also had seen the Yokohama Avids highly rated at tiretrack. One of the things that concerns me though, is if you look at individual reports, they are heavily weighted to smaller cars, like Hondas. That's understandable, since 14 inch wheels on big heavy cars are unusual. I'm left wondering how well any of these tires really perform in terms of say handling, when put on a big sedan, which is why I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

Not so fast. The original wheels are not wide enough for tires that are two sizes wider than stock. You have toi go to 6½" wheels to use the 205/70 tires. A better choice may be 195/70-14 as these can be used on the narrower wheels.

Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

Thins Spring I bought a set of Avid H4s from TireRack for our '88 560SL. The car is fairly heavy and these tires handle fine. Very quiet, good response. We up-sized one step from 205/65 to 215/60 R15. Very nice tires. Dale

Reply to
Dale

The stock wheels are 6 1/2 inchs and the current set of tires are 205/70.

Bill Ditmire

Reply to
Chet Hayes

Chet, you can't go wrong with high treadwear rating... at least a 600 tires will last 50% longer than a 400 tires... I understand your delimma as my dad do own a Caddy Fleetwood Brougham... the oldy boat... it goes through tires like crazy.

Reply to
Tiger