Diluting Coolant In Summer

" I have an 81 380sl that tends to run hot in the summer, and I heard that water is a much better coolant than anti-freeze. So I was wondering if diluting my coolant would cause my car to to run cooler in hot weather. "

IMO, any diff in cooling capacity will be minimal. Instead you will lower the boiling point and increase corrosion. Why don't you find out why it's running hot. Bad theromostat? Collapsing hoses? Plugged radiator?

Reply to
trader4

I have an 81 380sl that tends to run hot in the summer, and I heard that water is a much better coolant than anti-freeze. So I was wondering if diluting my coolant would cause my car to to run cooler in hot weather.

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Bernard

it is called antifreeze antiboil for a reason. don't do it!!!!!!!

along with rust inhabiters and the like.

you may need a new radiator or clutch fan

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man

No it will run hotter and boil over more easily. Colligative properties, just like high school chemistry. The antifreeze raises the boiling point of water, allowing it to remain in a liquid state and continue cooling.

Water is worse the properly mixed coolant for cooling your engine.

Do make sure your coolant is properly mixed though... marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph
70% water and 30% coolant is acceptable. water is the main heat dispersant... so too thick of coolant is negative for heat transfer.

People kept forgetting it is not only the coolant that raises the boiling temp... pressure is the main reason why boiling temp is much higher.

I would also clean your radiator fins... use water or air and blow/spray from enigne side to front to loosen any bugs/dirt that might clogg your radiator

Reply to
Tiger