windshield condensation

I am wondering if anyone has had this problem, or might know the cause. I recently has the heater core in my 2001 Golf replaced. Now when the car sits for a long time on the street heavy condensation builds up on the windshield and windows. This time it is not the greasy film indicating the car was leaking anti-freeze. Now it seems to be pure water. Could this still be the anti-freeze evaporating? Did the auto mechanic perhaps forget to install something? Everything else seems fine. The heater works. Love to hear from you if you have any ideas. Thanks.

Reply to
2001Golf

It normally means that someone left the windows open when it rained... or perhaps, tracked lots of snow into the car.

Leave the windows open in a dry spot (which includes a sunny winter day) so the moisture can dry out.

Tim Wohlford

Reply to
geek49203

Do you have a sunroof? If so, when was the last time you cleaned the sunroof drains?

When was the last time you cleaned the cowl drains?

Is the evaporator drain correctly routed outside the car and not plugged?

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Next time before you park the car, open the windows for a minute or two while moving, park it, then close the windows and get out quickly.

If it's "pure" water I'm guessing that it's just the humidity from you being in the car w/the windows closed up (esp. this time of year) and then as the car cools the moisture in the cabin air gets condensed onto the glass. Opening the windows for a minute or so to the the cabin air as the same, presumably drier, air from outside will probably clear things up. If it does clear up, that's probably what's going on. If the issue continues, then it's something else.

Reply to
Matt B.

Don't use the re-circulate setting.

It is possible that the condensation drain line has been clogged, kinked etc. during the work and may be at fault.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

How long ago did you have the heater core changed? Is there, or was there, any moisture on the floors?

I guess that heater works really well and is the culprit making the condensation. In Chicago we usually get this alot in the wintertime and sometimes it seems like ice on the INSIDE of the glass. 8^o

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1