Rover 25 Turbo Diesel - What does this oil pipe do ??

Hi, I need some advice about the Rover 25 Turbo Diesel...

I loaned one of these cars (W Reg) from my company and it suffered a rupture of an oil pipe external to the engine. I had to get it fixed at a local garage and will have to claim back the costs from the company. I would like to know how to describe the component as I will need to justify why the car needed to be repaired "there and then" as the garge told bme it was undriveable.

I have no idea what this pipe is for - pehaps the Turbocharger or oil cooler as I do not have any manuals.

See the following links for pics of the oild pipe and the new pipe in place.

Oil Oil pipe removed:

oil pipe in place:

Thanks in advance

Steve Harvey

steveharvey [at] dsl [dot] pipex [dot] com

Reply to
Steve Harvey

Surely you just need to give your company fleet manager the details of the garage concerned or a letter from the garage.

They should still reimburse you, what tight-wad company has 'W' reg fleet cars anyway, most company's only keep them for between 1 and 3 years until the warranty runs out.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Surely the fact it was leaking oil everywhere should be enough? Or did they expect you stop every 30seconds and top it up?

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Sadly it's becoming more common. Our optional leasing scheme was an 18 month or 35,000 mile replacement policy. That was extended to 3 years or 80,000 miles, we're now on 4 year unlimited mileage scheme.

This means that a 35,000 p/a user has a car which, for the entire final year has covered in excess of 100,000 miles. No reduction in company car income tax anymore for older cars, nor to the contribution we have to make to the leasing cost. Whilst cars invariably last better than ever these days, not many of ours have covered 140,000 miles without a breakdown or at least one major replacement item. I'm amazed it's cost effective.

My wife used to work for a company with an annual replacement policy. They would offer a limited choice of vehicles at very good rates (and others at a higher user charge) which meant they could go to Peugeot, Citroen, Vauxhall etc and say - "We'll have 5000 vehicles (they had a huge van fleet too) please and we're paying £xxxx for them." 13 months later they held a sale at their fleet office on a Saturday morning, well advertised, they would sell as many as they could for about what they paid for them! I had two bargains from their car sales, a 306D turbo estate with 14,300 miles, and a Mondeo TD GLX with 12,000 miles. Both had stamped up service books, a three month warranty and cost me virtually half their retail price when new.

The company was completely restructured and they now lease all their vehicles.

Reply to
Doctor D

Loks like a turbo feed pipe. Without any oil feed to the turbo it'd demolish itself and the broken bits end up in the engine pretty much totalling it.

Reply to
Conor

They were [leased] pool cars used by employees to travel between offices and have since been replaced - They were kept for a bit longer to see if any staff wanted to buy them. The joke is the lease company want a non negotiable 2700 quid for a W-Reg Rover 25TD with 75000+ Miles which has had

100 different drivers has at least 3 accidents repaired, a remaining dent and a missing wheel trim. The lease company wont accept offers but will be auctioning it next week and expect to get this sort of price :-)

I think that news from the the real world [about Rover residual values] has yet to sink in....

Steve

Reply to
Steve Harvey

That's the engine oil cooler pipes They go from somewhere near the oil filter housing, to a cooler mounted behind the bumper.

If you'd driven with those pipes leaking, it wouldn't off taken long for the engine to run out off oil and seize.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill