Extreme Horsepower in the current and future Mercedes-Benz

Hello,
According to the Autocar, Mercedes-Benz is planning more power for its V8 and V12 motors in the coming time. For instance, 612-hp 6-litre V12
in S65, CL65, and possibly SL65. That's the stopover until the 650-hp 6,3-litre naturally aspired (not supercharged) V8 comes out. What's more, the 700-hp edition follows soon.
The supercharged V6 is discarded in favour of V8 motors, including for C55 and SLK55.
However, it might decide not to list the biturbo V12 edition of its AMG models in the official catalogue. The customer must query about it and be given the special consideration for ordering the V12 AMG.
Any thoughts about the "megapower" Mercedes-Benz?
By the way, are S65, CL65, and SL65 coming to the USA? We need to lobby for the complete range of models as much as possible...including the excellent diesel motors (3,2-litre six-cylinders and 4-litre V8).
Oliver
Ennui Society wrote:

^^^^^^^^ definitely

That would be one of the main markets.

Oh, the 270CDI (5 banger, 177 PS) is not bad either.
Juergen 177 - 105 = 72 PS in W123 240D... ;-)
Power is good.
Any dates on the 650hp and 700hp models?
.
Hello,
Oliver Keating wrote:
[snip]

The fuel supplied in the USA is of high-sulfur quality in the neighbourhood of 500ppm. That is until 2006 when they are reduced to low-sulfur content (I am not sure yet what parts per million).
EPA is quite insistent on SEPARATE certification process regardless how identical or similiar the levels are between EPA and EU (Euro 3, 4, and 5). In addition, EPA requires the separate process for EACH motor and gearbox combination: no wonder we have limited choices of motor and gearbox in the USA. EPA and EU have different approach of certification process. Harmonisation is unlikely given the American penchant of doing everything in its own way.
Diesel is becoming more acceptable here in the USA with new generation of diesel motors. Volkswagen is the sole seller of diesel vehicles until this autumn when Mercedes-Benz joins the foray this autumn with E320CDI. However, California Air Resource Board (CARB) is not quite forgiving with the diesel motors: we might not see diesel sales in California and few northeastern states who adopted the strigent CARB level.

Ennui Society wrote:

California Air Resources Board certification requirements: California, New York, Massachusetts, Vermont and Maine).
Juergen
But unlike in California, in Maine there is absolutely nothing to stop you from buying a TDI in the next state over (New Hampshire) and registering it in Maine. Buy it, drive it home, pay all the taxes at your local registar and off you go!
Kevin Rhodes Westbrook, Maine Lives with one of the nice ladies at the local town hall that registers vehicles

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:39:43 +0100, "Oliver Keating"

If you can find paper mache strong enough to build a chassis out of ;-)
--

Lettuce spray for whirled peas...

Reply to usenet[at]miknik[dot]co[dot]uk
The logical next step will be the Maybach Sports Coup Landau V16 Kompressor with 1002 hp... I will not complain about this power parade, provided I can afford ordering some of these delirious machines myself *evil grin*
John

[snip]