Has the Dealer Committed a Rip-off Stunt?

Dear fellow listers:

My father-in-law has a ?98 C230, with 28,000 miles on it. The ?check engine? light came on and he brought it into the dealership to investigate.

$815.31 later, he got his car back.

This is what they did:

Check Engine Light - Tech (42 minutes) $218.70 Replaced mass air flow sensor

Parts ? Air Mass Sensor $549.05

MAO MB Environmental $5.00

Tax $42.56

Total $815.31

1) Is it likely that the air sensor was bad, especially with a very low mileage car of 28,000 miles? 2) Even if that were the case (unlikely, in my experience with Volvo and others I know with a Mercedes), isn?t there a much less expensive alternative? Example: I replaced the sensor in my Volvo with a universal version for $42.00 vs $250.00 for the Volvo dealer?s version. (works fine, by the way). 3) Why didn?t they tell him what they thought this would cost, instead of presenting him a bill, ala fait accompli?

I need some ammunition to discuss this with the dealer, as I regard this as abuse. Anyone have any ideas?

Reply to
Dan Behr

Next time, tell your mechanic to call you before doing any repairs in excess of $50.

I'm not trying to be snide here, but I think this time you are stuck. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Reply to
MILESFNW

Has the Dealer Committed a Rip-off Stunt? Group: alt.auto.mercedes Date: Mon, Nov 3, 2003, 6:05pm (EST-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@ais.net (Dan=A0Behr) Dear fellow listers: My father-in-law has a '98 C230, with 28,000 miles on it. The "check engine" light came on and he brought it into the dealership to investigate. $815.31 later, he got his car back. This is what they did: Check Engine Light - Tech (42 minutes) $218.70 Replaced mass air flow sensor Parts =96 Air Mass Sensor =A0 $549.05 MAO MB Environmental =A0 =A0 =A0 $5.00 Tax =A0 =A0 =A0 $42.56 Total =A0 =A0 =A0 $815.31

1) Is it likely that the air sensor was bad, especially with a very low mileage car of 28,000 miles? 2) Even if that were the case (unlikely, in my experience with Volvo and others I know with a Mercedes), isn't there a much less expensive alternative? Example: I replaced the sensor in my Volvo with a universal version for $42.00 vs $250.00 for the Volvo dealer's version. (works fine, by the way). 3) Why didn't they tell him what they thought this would cost, instead of presenting him a bill, ala fait accompli? I need some ammunition to discuss this with the dealer, as I regard this as abuse. Anyone have any ideas? xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

i pulled this once and it worked. if the car will not pass federal emmissions and state test for the first

50,000 miles
Reply to
IF YOU CAN'T SWIM DON'T JUMP IN

If he did not authorise the work [which may also be in doubt] and expenditure [which is sure to be so], they have committed an all-too-common fraud. Firm action.

Reply to
Classic Car Fair

Unless there are extenuating circumstances, like external factors or abuse, Air Mass Meter should be covered under the Emissions Warranty.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

Reply to
Rockman59

He told the dealer to fix it. That's their BLANK CHECK to charge what THEY want!

Their rational is that "the book" lists an "allowed" flat rate labor time of X hours for this job and who among us can argue with "the book" that shops buy from some self serving publisher, talk about consumer rip offs, this is the king.

Remember, the "service advisor" is on commission and works in the car business.

ALWAYS ask for an estimate BEFORE approving any work, otherwise this is always the result.

How do I know? Don't ask.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Reply to
Kennith.Hensley

The labor on your job was completely a rip off. Unfortunately they probably rip off everyone equally so you whining wont mean a thing. The lesson here is, dont go to the dealer, they rob you blind and they do it so often they actually think its ok. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

There are definitely dealers around that will rip you off. My girlfriend had a Pontiac Gran Prix where the ABS light would come on intermittently and the pedal would pulse when applying the brakes normally. She also was complaining that the power steering squeeled, however I only heard some of the normal noise if you turned it near the stop point in either direction.

She took it to a Pontiac dealer and they wanted $1100. They told her the ABS computer needed to be replaced and the power steering was leaking. Having not seen a single drop of fluid on the garage floor, I was suspicious.

She took it to another dealer who diagnosed a bad wheel sensor and repaired it for $225. Now, you know this was not a case of making the wrong diagnosis, because both the ABS computer and the engine computer read out extensive data on what signals are missing, etc. It's down to the level of "open sensor input from left front wheel, or occasional misfire on cylinder 3" It's impossible that the computer would say it failed it's own diagnostic when the problem was simply a wheel sensor.

The rest of this fraud would probably have been that they would not have even replaced the computer, while charging for it.

Reply to
Chet Hayes