HELP! 1984 300D turbodiesel Has loud clicking noise coming from rear axle area.

I assumed it was due to a needed brake job but that didn't stop the noise. It seems tobe coming from the drive side dust shield. Its most prominent when driving but makes a really loud click when its first put in gear.Any help here will be greatly appreciated. TIA--NW

Reply to
nw

Turned out to be rear axle cv joint. One of the ball bearrings had exploded. How do you remove these suckers. I have it loose from the wheel side of the axle , but how do you remove the axle from the center housing. Do you have to remove the entire shaft assembly? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA=--NW

Reply to
nw