How to post your MERCEDES-RELATED questions to this list . . .

Paul asked how to post a new thread. In case anyone else was wondering, here you go . . .

Go to the web page for this group and in the upper right click the "+ New Post" link. Here's the web URL:

Send an e-mail to: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com

One other thing: Provide a relevant subject line, which includes the year and model of your car. If the subject is not clear, people who might be able to help you may not click it.

Example: '79 240D Rear suspension problem - Please help.

It's a great resource and I really appreciate the folks who have helped those of us with less experience with these cars. Don't be dismayed by the spam. Just IGNORE it -- responding only encourages the idiot trolls. Thanks, Steve

Reply to
runbiodiesel

That assumes he's using google groups on the web to access the newsgroups. There are many client based newsreaders that people use, OutlookExpress being one example Exactly how you post from any of them varies, which is why I said if he told us what he's using, someone may be able to help him.

Reply to
trader4

My problem was that I was using a different computer and I wasn't signed in. But I do think that finding the link to post is a bit obscure. I just use a browser to access the list. Usually Firefox.

Reply to
Paul Fretheim

AFAIK, you can't just access newsgroups with a web browser. You need either a newsgroup reader, eg Outlook Express, Agent, etc or a website that supports web based access to newgroups, eg Google Groups.

Reply to
trader4

Not sure what you mean. You access the web with a browser...

I jsut went to Google Groups and searched for alt.auto.mercedes (using IE in this case).

This group came up right away.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Yup, Dori's right. The simplest way to go about it is to just go to the website and create a new post or use the e-mail address, as I said. It really doesn't get any easier than that.

The client-based newsreaders are great but if some> Not sure what you mean. =A0You access the web with a browser...

Reply to
runbiodiesel

Once again, there is no one website that this or any other usenet newsgroup is hosted on. Apparently you are assuming that everyone uses Google Groups or that Google is the one home of this newsgroup. MOST people do not use Google Groups. There is no one website or place to go for any newsgroup. The thousands of newsgroups live on many servers that replicate them and are scattered all over the world. You can access the newgroups from any one of them using a newsreader like Outlook Express, Forte Agent, etc., without ever touching a browser.

I happen to also use Google Groups. But that doesn't mean Google is the official repository of this newsgroup, or any other. They just happen to:

1 - Carry this newgroup

2 - Allow web based access to it.

I could just as well be using Outlook Express and access it directly from my ISP, Cablevision, because they also carry newsgroups and it's available on their newsgroup server. Do a search on newsgroup readers and you will find many popular client based newsreaders.

That's a big assumption. They could just as easily have OE and not be able to figure out how to start a new thread. Which, again, is why I asked if he told us what he's using, then someone could help him.

.
Reply to
trader4

Yes, you access the web with a browser, but that's "My problem was that I was using a different computer and I wasn't signed in. But I do think that finding the link to post is a bit obscure. I just use a browser to access the list. Usually Firefox"

It's not clear what he's using or doing. Signed into what? Finding what link to post? Could be he's on Google Groups. But it could also be that he's on some other website that carries this newsgroup. I've seen people posting to various usenet groups from various sites. Could be that a car repair/auto website has the group available on it's site for example and you can access it there. Also there are newsgroup services that allow you to access the newsgroups via either a newsreader or via a web interface.

Some people think that Google Groups is the only place newsgroups live, that only they host them, etc. Runbiodiesel told the guy to go to the webpage for this group. What he really means is, if he happens to want to use Google Groups, that he can access the group from that webpage at Google Groups. Google is just one portal and way to access them. All this could be avoided by people just saying what exactly it is they are doing. Then someone can help them without guessing what they are doing.

Reply to
trader4

I receive the list as an email digest. When I click a link in the email my browser launches Google Groups.

I was hypothesizing why the list has been sparsely used lately, not asking for help. Obviously if I had not solved the issue of posting already my message would not have appeared.

Paul Fretheim

.
Reply to
Paul Fretheim