Importing an old mercedes from Germany. Worth it?

Hi I have an opportunity to bring over a car from the Germany for free (friend is moving company is paying shipping cost only)

From what I can see only a merc > 25 years old can be imported without

having to convert for safety standards (emissions only)

But has anyone done research on whether this is even worth it? The sliding dollar against the euro would mean a good 10-15% additional cost. Plus second hand mercs here aren't that expensive.

Just wondering if someone has done some recent research into price comparisons.

Thanks

Jingle

Reply to
hollywoodsign

it would be worth it if you were after a particular model for your own benifit without the crap US emissions system and ugly exterior modifications. But as a way of making money? forget it, some people actually prefere the US models for some unknown reason.

Reply to
Big Richard